Bluegrass in the House celebration and benefit for the Cindy Mackie Foundation featuring the Hinson Girls, A Deeper Shade of Blue and Chappel will be 5 p.m. Sept. 3 at Pleasant Hill Presbyterian Church, 15000 York Road, Charlotte.
Tickets are $12.50 in advance and $15 and the door. Tickets available at cindymackiefoundation.org
▪ York Baptist Association is sponsoring “Celebrate Solidarity,” 10 a.m.-1 p.m Saturdayat the Rock Hill amphitheater. The event is to celebrate the racial unity that exists in the body of Christ. All churches are invited. There will be two praise bands and food. For information, call David Roth at 803-984-4337 or 803-327-6144
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Herald
▪ Count Me In To Do the Right Thing will host a “School Supplies Distribution Event,” 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday at Richburg Community Library, 3771 Lancaster Hwy. Free school supplies will be provided for kindergarten to college age students, while the supplies last.
▪ Covenant Presbyterian Men of the Church will sell pork barbecue, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday at the church at the corner of Mount Gallant and Celanese roads. Pounds, $10; plates, $8 and sandwiches $4.50.
▪ The youth of Clover Wesleyan Church will have a hot dog and baked goods sale, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday at the church at the corner of South Main Street and Parkview Lane.
▪ Tickets are still available for Hospice & Community Care fourth annual Labor of Love (LOL) event Sept. 1 will feature Anita Renfroe, a break-out YouTube sensation, who rose to fame when she sang of everything a mother says to her children in a single day to the tune of “The William Tell Overture.” The show will be 7 p.m. at Baxter Hood Center in Rock Hill. An opening reception begins at 6 p.m. She is the wife of a pastor and featured regularly on “Good Morning America.” She also is a speaker on the Woman of Faith Farewell Tour. Tickets are $25 and available at HospiceCommunityCare.org
▪ The Rock Hill branch of the NAACP general meeting will be 9 a.m. Saturday at Bannon Hall across the street from St. Mary Catholic Church, 902 Crawford Road.
▪ The Fort Mill VFW will have it’s annual membership kickoff and open house, 2-5 p.m. Saturday at 1442 Harris Road. Anyone interested in becoming a member of our organization (Post or Auxiliary), bring a copy of your DD 214 or we can assist with military records. For information, call 803-547-5480.
▪ Identifying Native Trees will be the topic of First Friday in the Garden, 11 a.m. Sept. 2 at the Glencairn Garden Learning Center, 826 Edgemont Ave., Rock Hill.
▪ Rock Hill Parks, Recreation & Tourism has rescheduled its final Fewell Park Summer Concert with the Hinson Girls to 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at 1204 Alexander Road. Bring a picnic and blanket or lawn chair. For information, call 803-329-5645.
▪ The Vintage Club of Tega Cay’s monthly dinner and entertainment will be 7 p.m. Aug. 31 at the Phil Glennon Community Center. Cocktails at 6 p.m. Adrian Gagnon will perform a magic and comedy show. The club is open to Tega Cay residents age 50 and older. For information, call Carol Smith/Small at 704-651-0047 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ The deadline to apply for small grants for individual artists, nonprofit organizations and schools in York County through the Arts Council of York County is 5 p.m. Sept. 1. The Small Grants Program provides support for small or pilot arts activities, artist professional development, new and developing programs or organizations, and special projects of high artistic quality that cannot support themselves. Organizations and individual artists may request up to $1,000 per grant and may get up to two grants in a calendar year. Prospective applicants must discuss the proposed project with the executive director at least 10 days in advance of the deadline. Information and applications are available through the arts council at 803-328-2787, or the website at www.yorkcountyarts.org under The Arts heading.
▪ The Fort Mill Community Playhouse will have auditions for its November production, “Tokens of Affection” by Topher Payne at 1 p.m. Saturday-Sunday at Fort Mill Community Playhouse, 220 Main St. Roles are available for three men and three women. For character info and more information go to fortmillplayhouse.org or call 803-548- 8102
York County Library
▪ Friends Books on Main will hold a special sale 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Thursday-Saturday featuring books by John Grisham and Mary Higgins Clark. All titles by these authors will be half-price. The used book store, at 206 E. Main St., Rock Hill, is operated by the Friends of the York County Proceeds from the store benefit York County libraries. For information, go to friends.yclibrary.org.
▪ All York County libraries will be closed on Friday for staff training. Normal hours resume Saturday. For information, go to www.yclibrary.org.
▪ Hospice & Community Care will hold training classes for Hospice volunteers in 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Sept. 17 and Nov. 17 at the campus, 2275 Indian Hook Road. The training allows volunteers to learn about Hospice & Community Care and explore volunteer opportunities. Hospice utilizes volunteers with patients at home, as well as the Wayne T. Patrick Hospice House. Hospice volunteers also serve in the Hospice Resale Shops and in the Hospice office. For information or to register contact the Volunteer Department at 803-329-1500.
▪ Make-A-Wish South Carolina is holding a regional volunteer meeting on 7 p.m. Sept. 15 at the Baxter Village YMCA. For information, contact Brennan Brown at email@example.com.
▪ The Rock Hill High School class of 1954 will meet at 1 p.m. Thursday. at Golden Corral, Anderson Road. Members, relatives and friends invited.
▪ Residents of Aragon Mill Village from 1940-60 will have a reunion 1-4 p.m. Sept. 10 in the fellowship hall at Northside Baptist Church, 1140 Curtis St., Rock HIll. Bring a covered-dish, finger foods or drinks to share and old photographs. For information or to add a name to the memorial list, call Lucille Montgomery Boan at 803-327-6792 or 803-417-6163 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ Celebrate Recovery Life Groups meets 6:50 p.m. Thursdays at the Fort Mill Church of God, 221 Academy St., Fort Mill. Free. No registration
▪ Alateen meets 8-9 p.m. Thursdays at Zoar Road Club, 14701 Thomas Road, Charlotte. Meetings are for two age groups: 6-12 and 13 and older. For information, call 803-547-2124 or 704-904-7834.
▪ Al-Anon meets 8 p.m. Mondays at Serenity Club, 209 Grayson Road, Rock Hill; noon Tuesdays at Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church, 421 Oakland Ave., Rock Hill; 8 p.m. Mondays at Grace Presbyterian Church, 2955 S.C. 160, Fort Mill; and 8 p.m. Tuesdays in the house beside First Baptist Church, 121 Monroe White St., Fort Mill.
Send Community News items to email@example.com or to 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, SC 29730. Deadline for the Thursday column is 5 p.m. Monday. Deadline for the Sunday column is 5 p.m. Wednesday.