The Arts Council of York County will announce its 25th annual Juried Competition winners at a free, public reception at 6 p.m. Thursday at the Center for the Arts, 121 E. Main St. Works of 2D, 3D, and video created by artists in the Southeast are on exhibit in the Dalton Gallery at the Center for the Arts from June 18-July 26.
Mitchell Kearney, a commercial advertising photographer and multimedia fine art image-maker, judged the competition. Mitchell has had numerous exhibitions of his photography-based work in the Charlotte region. He has also exhibited at the Arti Multie Visione in Rieti, Italy and at the Camera Club of New York.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Herald
▪ New Covenant Missionary Baptist Church will have a clothing and household items giveaway, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. June 27 at the church on Hampton Street, Rock Hill.
▪ The Arts Council of York County will host the 36th annual Arts Celebration at 6 p.m. June 25 at the Community Performance Center, 249 E. Main St., Rock Hill. The event is free and open to the public.
The celebration includes highlights from the past year, presentations of the Ben Ardrey Volunteer Award and the Business & the Arts Award. Matthew Manwarren will perform on the new Steinway-Essex piano. An exhibition of quilts by members of the York County Quilters’ Guild will be on display in the Williams & Fudge Gallery. A reception featuring light hors d’oeuvres and festive beverages will follow.
▪ Cox Harley Davidson will host a Father’s Day Carnival, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday at 1178 Galleria Blvd., Rock Hill. The carnival will feature contests with prizes, bounce house, dunking booth, carnival games, food, music and the USS Wainwright Military Museum. Proceeds benefit The Haven Men’s Shelter. For information, contact Diane at 803-370-3315 or email@example.com.
▪ An Autism Awareness Benefit Concert, sponsored by the 40&8 of the American Legion, will feature Rick Alviti and his Show Band in “That’s the Way it Was,” 7:15 p.m. Saturday at the American Legion post, 524 Heckle Blvd., Rock Hill. Alviti is an Elvis tribute artist and has appeared with Diane Bailey as Patsy Cline. Tickets are $35 and include a reception 5-7 p.m., with hors d’oeuvres, beverages and prizes. For tickets, call Steve or Pat Blankenship at 803-328-3599 in the evening. Limited seating. Cash or charge is available. Proceeds go to the Chrysalis Autism Center.
▪ Downtown Live Concert Series will feature “flickted,” a four-piece band playing 80s hits, rhythm & blues and country, 5:30-9:30 p.m. Friday June 19 on the lawn at the Greater York Chamber of Commerce office, 23 E. Liberty St. Food and beverages are available. Admission is free. Bring blankets. For information, call 803-684-2590 or go to www.greateryorkchamber.com.
▪ Keystone board of directors will meet 6 p.m. Monday at Keystone Prevention Center, 1600 Ebenezer Road Rock Hill. Open to the public. For information, call 803-324-4118.
▪ Rock Hill Toastmasters Club 2040 will have its end-of-year celebration 6:30-8 p.m. Tuesday in the Garden Room at Westminster Towers, 831 McDow Road, Rock Hill. Make reservations with Felita Guy at firstname.lastname@example.org
▪ The Western York County Branch of the NAACP will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday at Langrum Branch Baptist Church 1500 McFarland Road, York. For information, call Wanda Simril at 803-684-6200.
▪ The York Soil and Water Conservation District commissioners will meet at 5 p.m. Thursday at the USDA Service Center, 1460 E. Alexander Love Highway, York. Open to the public. For information, call Barbara O’Connell, district coordinator at 803-684-3137, ext. 101.
▪ United States Submarine Veterans, Carolina Piedmont Base, will meet 7 p.m. Saturday at Fort Mill VFW, 1441 Harris Road, Fort Mill. Social and dinner at 5:30 p.m. For information, call Raymond Zieverink at 803-324-1414.
▪ Military Order of the Purple Heart Chapter 2008 will meet Monday at VFW Hall, 732 W. Main St., Rock Hill. All Purple Heart recipients welcome. For information, call Chapter Adjutant Rich Roszelle at 803-367-8328.
▪ The Rock Hill Area Shag Club will have its Garden Party, 8 p.m. Saturday June 20 at Celebrations at Ramada Inn, Cherry Road. Business meeting at 7 p.m. Bring your favorite salad or dish to share. Steve Coley will deejay.
▪ The Ballroom Dance Club will meet 7:30-10:20 p.m. Friday in the Oak Room at the Fort Mill Golf Course clubhouse, 101 Country Club Drive. There will be a free dance lesson during the evening. Dressy casual. Adults of all ages and skills welcome. Guest admission is $15 per couple, $7.50, singles. No alcohol; light refreshments provided. For information, call Bob at 803-389-4679 or 803-517-9950, 9 a.m.-9 p.m.
▪ The Rock Hill Civitan Club will meet at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Mary’s Cafe, Firetower Road. Tamara Jackson will talk about fun and fitness. Members are encouraged to wear comfortable shoes. For information, email email@example.com
The York County Council on Aging, in partnership with the South Carolina Department of Social Services will issue free coupons worth $25 to low income individuals age 60 and older that can be used to buy fresh produce at local participating farmers markets. The coupons can be used through Oct. 15.
The coupons will be issued 1-2:30 p.m. Wednesday at the York Senior Center, 14 N. Congress St. Do not arrive before 12:30 p.m. as there is no seating. Recipients can get coupons only once per year. The coupons will be issued on a first come basis.
Applications must be submitted in person. Proof of identity and residence in York County is required. Applicants must also meet household income eligibility limits. Information regarding the income of all household members is required to determine eligibility.
Those who want to apply for homebound seniors must provide a statement from the senior granting permission to submit an application on their behalf. Proof of identity and proof of income for the homebound senior must be presented at the time of application.
For more information, call York County Council on Aging at 328-0197.
▪ The Second Harvest Partners, sponsored by Providence Presbytery, will have a hunger relief site 9 a.m. Friday at St. Luke No. 1 Baptist Church, 5025 Lockhart Highway, Sharon. Volunteers will distribute food to eligible participants who meet USDA eligibility income guidelines. For information, contact Catawba Area Agency on Aging at 803-329-9670.
▪ Rock Hill Parks, Recreation and Tourism is offering three activities June 27 at the BMX Supercross Track, 1307 Riverwalk Parkway. Participants can enjoy one or all; Olympic Day, Movie Night and Great American Campout activities will be offered.
Olympic Day promotes Olympic values and sports participation and lets youth and adults enjoy the pump track and race on the BMX track with the usual USA BMX membership fee waived. Bring a bike and helmet; a limited number of bikes and helmets are available at the track. Registration and practice 9-10:30 a.m. with racing beginning at 11 a.m. Long pants and long-sleeved shirts are required; gloves, knee and elbow pads recommended. Call 803-326-2441 with questions. Free event.
Free Outdoor Movie Night features “McFarland USA” (rated PG) shown on a large screen outdoors at the BMX track. Seating opens at 8 p.m. and the movie begins at 9 p.m. Bring a blanket or chair. The concession stand will be open.
The Great American Campout features a family-friendly camping experience at the BMX track with tent set-up and dinner 5-7 p.m. The concession stand will be open for dinner or participants can bring a picnic. A light breakfast will be provided Sunday morning, June 28. The cost is $10 per tent/campsite. Registration is required at cityofrockhill.com/prt. Call 803-326-5632 with questions.
▪ A homeowners workshop, hosted by the Housing Development Corp. of Rock Hill and the Piedmont Regional Association of Realtors, will be 5-7 p.m. Thursday in the Palmetto Room, 150 E. White St. The event will feature information on first home purchases, mortgages, home inspection and other home-buying information. For information, call 803-326-3793.
▪ South Carolina Legal Services will have a free clinic on obtaining expungements and pardons at 10 a.m. June 25 at Rock Hill City Hall, Room 201, 155 Johnston St. Information includes what South Carolina criminal charges can be expunged and how to apply for expungements and pardons. No one will be allowed in the clinic after 10 a.m. Space is limited and registration is required. To register, call 803-327-9001 or 800-922-3853.
▪ The Children’s School at Sylvia Circle is enrolling students in full-day K3 and K4 for 2015-16. This is the only public Montessori school in the Rock Hill school district with a full-day 3K early childhood program. For information, call, 803-981-1380.
▪ Providence Classical School will have an open house, 6:30-8 p.m. Thursday at College Park Baptist Church, 1168 Cherry Road, which is the new home for the school. Learn about the classical education model, tour the campus, meet the teachers, browse curriculum, and connect with other PCS families during the open house.
▪ Kappa Alpha Chapter annual Dr. Charles R. Drew Blood Drive will be 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday at the Rock Hill Galleria , Dave Lyle Boulevard, Rock Hill. All donors will get a T-shirt. For information, call 803-487-7098 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
▪ Piedmont Medical Center will offer a heart health risk assessment on Thursday at the hospital Resource Center, in the Women’s Center, ground floor. Fasting is required. To register, call 888-457-5211.
▪ The nonprofit Friends of the York County Animal Shelter needs volunteers to help bathe, groom, exercise, socialize, train and provide adoption information for the animals, as well as assist in follow-ups, publicity, marketing and fulfilling other jobs at the shelter. Time and mileage may be tax deductible. Volunteers must be 18 or older; orientation and training are required. For information, call 803-818-6485 or go to the shelter at 713 Justice Blvd., York.
▪ Northwestern High School class of 1975 40th reunion will be Saturday at the Elks Club, East Main Street, Rock Hill. Sign up at bit.ly/1MkWLKk.
▪ Alateen meets 8-9 p.m. Thursdays at Zoar Road Club, 14701 Thomas Road, Charlotte. Meetings are for two age groups: 6-12 and 13 and older. For information, call 803-547-2124 or 704-904-7834.
▪ Al-Anon meets at 8 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays at Serenity Club, 209 Grayson Road, Rock Hill; at noon Tuesdays upstairs at Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church, 421 Oakland Ave., Rock Hill; at 8 p.m. Mondays at Grace Presbyterian Church, 2955 S.C. 160, Fort Mill; and at 8 p.m. Tuesdays in the house beside First Baptist Church, 121 Monroe White St., Fort Mill.
Send Community News items to email@example.com or to 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, SC 29730. Deadline for the Thursday column is 5 p.m. Monday. Deadline for the Sunday column is 5 p.m. Wednesday.