The Heart2Heart Foundation needs makeup artist volunteers for the annual Old Town Zombie Crawl 5K Run, Walk & Fun Run on Oct. 24 in downtown Rock Hill.
A free zombie makeover class for volunteers will be 3-5 p.m. Sept. 26, at Palmetto Dance Studio, 1449 Ebenezer Road.
Volunteers unable to attend can email email@example.com.
To sign up, go to oldtownzombiecrawl.com.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Herald
▪ The Carolina Promenaders will have an open house for square dance lessons, 7:30-9:30 p.m. Sept. 10 at The Shield, 2499 Fire Tower Road, Rock Hill. For information, call 803-328-0289 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ The Shepherd’s Center of Rock Hill will host its fall session of Adventures in Learning 9:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m. Mondays, Sept. 14-Oct. 19, at Oakland Baptist Church, 1067 Oakland Ave. Coffee is at 9:15. Adventures in Learning is an opportunity for adults age 50 and older to try new skills, be creative, exercise, learn and socialize. The first visit is free. Cost for the six-week session is $20.
First classes are 10-11 a.m. with a series on Good Food, World War I History, art classes, intermediate bridge and creative writing classes. Homemade refreshments served 11-11:15 a.m. The second session includes critique, proactive and purposeful aging, creative writing, intermediate bridge and everyday safety. After classes, the Lunch Bunch meets for a Dutch treat meal at a different restaurant every week.
For a complete schedule go to shepherdscenterrh.org, Facebook at Shepherd’s Center of Rock Hill, or call 803-328-1343.
▪ Antioch United Methodist Church will host its annual Country Store fundraiser 8 a.m. Sept. 19 at the church, 930 W. Rambo Road, Rock Hill. Breakfast and lunch served. Items for sale include baked goods, jams, jellies, chow-chows,other homemade gifts, seasonal decor, books by the inch and fresh flowers.
▪ Sandlappers Parrot Head Club will host a dance and party, 7 p.m.-midnight Sept. 19 at Long Branch, 761 Riverview Road, Rock Hill, to raise money for Make-A-Wish of South Carolina. The event includes live music by the Rockaholics, silent auction and door prizes, which include a Fines Up Rouge Guitar autographed by Jimmy Buffet with certificate of authenticity; estate 14kt gold, pearl and diamond pendant; and Cajon drum by Billy Bonham. Tickets are $15 at bit.ly/1VyZswM. For information, email Nick George at email@example.com.
▪ Tirzah ARP Church Cruise In Car and Tractor Show will be 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday at the church, 6161 Mount Gallant Road, York. Tony’s barbecue will be sold. Proceeds go to the sports program at the church. For information, call Steve Maloney 803-366-3952.
▪ “Every Now and Then” will be featured at Allison Creek Bluegrass 7 p.m. Sept. 17 at Allison Creek Presbyterian Church, S.C. 274 and Allison Creek Road near Lake Wylie. Doors open at 6 p.m. with concessions available at 6:30 p.m. Free admission. Love offering taken.
▪ York Soil and Water Conservation District commissioners will meet 5 p.m. Sept. 17 at the USDA Service Center, 1460 E. Alexander Love Highway, York. Open to the public. For information, contact Barbara O’Connell, district coordinator at 803-684-3137 ext. 101.
▪ The Western York County branch of the NAACP will meet 6 p.m. Sept. 17 at the Greater York Chamber of Commerce, 23 E. Liberty St. York. For information, contact Wanda Simril at 803-684-6200.
▪ Military Order of the Purple Heart Chapter 2008 Rock Hill will meet 7 p.m. Sept. 16 at the VFW Hall, 732 W. Main St., Rock Hill.
▪ The Rock Hill Civitan Club annual Friends & Family Picnic will be 6 p.m. Tuesday at Ebenezer Park in Rock Hill. Members of the Chester Civitan Club and special friends will attend the barbecue dinner. For information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
▪ The Rock Hill Music Club will meet at 4 p.m. Thursday at Ebenezer Presbyterian Church. Featured musician will be David Richardson playing the clavichord in an all Bach program. The club begins it 102nd year and will host its annual free Community Concert April 3 and its scholarship benefit Musical Tour of Homes on May 1.
▪ ParentSmart Family Literacy Partnership is accepting applications for the adult education high school equivalency diploma class and the preschool classes. Students must be older than 17 and officially withdrawn from high school. Preschool students must be ages 2-5. Applicants must reside in the Rook Hill School District. For information, contact Shelby Patterson at 803-981-1179 or SNPatter@rhmail.org.
▪ St. John’s United Methodist Church will offer dance classes on Mondays at the church, 321 S. Oakland Ave., Rock Hill. Line Dancing will be 7-8 p.m. Monday, Sept. 21 and 28 taught by Julia Robbins. Cost is $15. Beginner Foxtrot will be offered 8:30-9:30 p.m. Sept. 21 and 28. $10. Country/Texas Two-Step taught by Bill and April Bragg will be 7:30-8:30 p.m. Oct. 5, 12, 19 and 26. $20. Beginner Waltz will be 7:30-8:30 p.m. Nov. 2, 9 and 16. $15. Proceeds will go to the youth of the church. Park in White Street parking lot to enter St. John’s Center. You do not need a partner. For information, call Pat at 803-372-1315 or e-mail email@example.com
▪ The Rock Hill Parks, Recreation and Tourism Department is offering “Families Exploring Nature” 9:30-11:30 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 3 and Nov. 14. Participants should bring water and comfortable walking shoes; a camera is also suggested. Cost is $2 and preregistration is required. Register at cityofrockhill.com/alloutdoors or call 803-322-3134.
▪ Make-A-Wish South Carolina is seeking volunteers. Bilingual volunteers are especially needed. A meeting will be 6 p.m. Sept. 17 at Baxter Village YMCA. For information email Brennan Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 864-250-0702, ext. 112, to RSVP.
▪ The Emmett Scott High School class of 1967 monthly birthday fellowship dinner will be 5:30 p.m. Monday at O’Charley’s, 2265 Crown Pointe Drive, Rock Hill.
▪ The annual Hudson Family Reunion will be Sunday at Armenia United Methodist Church Fellowship Hall, 2840 Armenia Road, Chester. Barbecue will be served at 1 p.m. Bring side dishes, desserts and tea.
▪ Former employees of US Plywood, Champion International and Georgia Pacific at the Catawba Plant will meet for lunch and fellowship at 1 p.m. Thursday at the Golden Corral, Anderson Road, Rock Hill. All former employees, spouses and friends are welcome.
▪ Residents of the Aragon Mill Village in the 1940s-’60s will have a reunion 1-4 p.m. Saturday in the fellowship hall at Northside Baptist Church, 1140 Curtis St., Rock Hill. Bring a covered dish, finger food or drinks to share and old photographs. Special music by Rhonda Ramsey Costner. For information or to add a name to the memorial list, contact Lucille Montgomery Boan at 803-327-6792 or 803-417-6163 or email@example.com.
▪ A Parkinson’s support group will meet at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at Westminster Towers Community Room, 1330 India Hook Road, Rock Hill. For information, call 803-328-5231. Open to the community.
▪ Alateen meets 8-9 p.m. Thursdays at Zoar Road Club, 14701 Thomas Road, Charlotte. Meetings are for two age groups: 6-12 and 13 and older. For information, call 803-547-2124 or 704-904-7834.
▪ Al-Anon meets at 8 p.m. Mondays at Serenity Club, 209 Grayson Road, Rock Hill; at noon Tuesdays upstairs at Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church, 421 Oakland Ave., Rock Hill; at 8 p.m. Mondays at Grace Presbyterian Church, 2955 S.C. 160, Fort Mill; and at 8 p.m. Tuesdays in the house beside First Baptist Church, 121 Monroe White St., Fort Mill.
Send Community News items to firstname.lastname@example.org or to 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, SC 29730. Deadline for the Thursday column is 5 p.m. Monday. Deadline for the Sunday column is 5 p.m. Wednesday.