A Vietnam War 50th anniversary Commemoration Ceremony, sponsored by Columbia VA Regional Office, SCNG Service Member and Family Care Directorate, will be 1-1:30 p.m. March 29 at the Rock Hill South Carolina National Guard Armory, 126 Museum Road.
Other events include a military career and resource fair, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. and VA listening forum and claims workshop, 1:30-4 P.M.
Other events include:
Kings Mountain Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution will honor Vietnam War veterans at noon March 29 at York City Hall. York Mayor Eddie Lee will speak. The event is in partnership with the Vietnam War Commemoration Committee.
The Catawba Chapter of DAR, a Vietnam 50th Commemorative Partner, will recognize veterans who served during the Vietnam era at 3 p.m. March 29 at the Aldersgate United Methodist Church, 2115 Celanese Road. If you were a member of the armed services during this time, please contact Janie at 803-980-2357 to receive your invitation.
▪ The Great Easter Egg Classic for children age 2-11 will be 3:30 p.m. Thursday at Cherry Park in Rock Hill. There will be 50,000 eggs with candy and prizes spread over the softball fields. Prizes must be picked up by 6 p.m. Collection bags are available as you enter the park. No baskets or unofficial bag. For start times by age group go to EasterEggClassic.com
▪ Rock the Prom, a free teen event will be 1-4 p.m. Saturday at the Holiday Inn, 503 Galleria Blvd., Rock Hill. The event, open to the public, is hosted by Just Be Academy, Inc.; along with Successful Options, MyLife LiveYours, Gemstones, Tabernacle A.M.E. Zion Church Missionary Society, and the Xi Beta Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority at Winthrop University There will be a fashion show, two workshops, a panel discussion, makeovers and door prizes. Teens will work with event stylists to select a free prom dress of their choice. The winner of the Ultimate Princess Experience package from the Rock the Prom essay contest will be announced. For information, got to justbeacademy.org or contact Crystal M. Burns at 803-524-1872.
▪ Clover Kids Fun Day, 9 a.m.-2 p.m Wednesday at the Market Building, 116 Columbia St., Chester for ages 7-13. Limited to 14 children. Cost is $5. Lunch included. To register, call Rae’L Jackson at 803-374-9424. Deadline to register, Monday.
▪ Living Beauty Temple No. 709 annual Purple & White disco, 9 p.m.-1:30 p.m. April 2 at the Elk Home, 1644 Ogden Road, Rock Hill. Donations, $8 in advance; $10 at the door.
▪ North Central Family Medical Center will hold a voter registration drive 9 a.m.-1 p.m. April 9 at 1131 Saluda St., Rock Hill.
▪ Relay for Life, York East covering, Rock Hill, Fort Mill and Tega Cay raises funds for the American Cancer Society with its relay at 2-10 p.m. May 14 at Dutchman Creek Middle School. Cancer survivors from the community will be honored at the event, and at a dinner on May 6. Survivors can register on the Relay for Life web site for a personal invitation. The community is invited to participate at the relay. There will be food, games, and plenty of local entertainers for all ages. For more information, visit www.relayforlife.org/yorkeastsc.
▪ The Rock Hill Council of Neighborhoods will meet 6:30 p.m. Thursday in the training room of the Housing and Neighborhood Services building, 150 Johnson St. Sen. Wes Hayes will speak. The Red Cross will give a presentation on its Smoke Alarm Blitz project.
▪ Indian Land VFW will meet 9:30 a.m. Saturday at 8083 Charlotte Highway, Indian Land. New members and guests arrive at 9 a.m. Veterans bring DD214. For information, contact John Marke rat 704.843.6930 or email@example.com.
▪ The Rock Hill branch of the NAACP will not meet Saturday because of the Easter holiday. For information, contact Sandra Oborokumo at (803) 325-2855.
▪ The Vintage Club of Tega Cay’s monthly dinner 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Phil Glennon Community Center. Cocktails at 6 p.m. The club will celebrates its 30th anniversary. The club is open to Cay residents age 50 and older. information, contact Judie Fiegel at 803-207-0793 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
York County Library
▪ York County Libraries will offer the following free programs:
Egg-Stravaganza, 11 a.m.-noon Saturday to hear stories about animals and an egg hunt. For ages 11 and under, accompanied by an adult. Call 981-5888 to register.
Friends of the Library Fiction Book Sale, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Thursday and Friday and 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday at the York library. Hardcover and paperback fiction for adults and children’s paperbacks for sale from 50 cents to $2.
Red Cross Blood Drive, 11 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Friday in Rock Hill. Call 803-981-5847 to register.
Teen Chess Club, 4:30-6 p.m. March 29 for ages 11-17. Practice or learn to play. No registration required.
All York County libraries will be closed Sunday in observance of Easter and remain closed on Monday for staff training. Normal hours will resume on Tuesday.
▪ The nonprofit Friends of the York County Animal Shelter needs volunteers to bathe, groom, exercise, socialize, train and provide adoption information for the animals, as well as assist in follow-ups, publicity, marketing and other jobs at the shelter. Time and mileage may be tax-deductible. Volunteers must be 18 or older; orientation and training required. For information, call 803-818-6485 or go to the shelter at 713 Justice Boulevard, York.
▪ The Rock Hill chapter of Finley High School alumni will meet 5 p.m. Monday at Jackson’s Cafeteria 1735 Heckle Blvd. Anyone who graduated or attended Finley High School is encourage to attend. For information, call Charlie M. Robinson at 803-327-4547 or James T. Dunham at 704-232-0793.
▪ Rock Hill High School class of 1954 will meet at 1 p.m. Thursday at Golden Corral, Anderson Road. Members, family and friends invited.
▪ Former members of the Army Reserves B & D Co. 391st Engineer Battalion will meet at 1 p.m. April 2 at the YMCA in Chester.
▪ The Finley High School class of 1964 will meet noon Saturday at Golden Corral, 1031 North Anderson Road, Rock Hill. For information contact Charlie M. Robinson at 803-327-4547, James Mayfield at 803-374-1090 or Kater Wylie Cornwell at 704-661-7701.
▪ Alateen meets 8-9 p.m. Thursdays at Zoar Road Club, 14701 Thomas Road, Charlotte. Meetings are for two age groups: 6-12 and 13 and older. For information, call 803-547-2124 or 704-904-7834.
▪ Al-Anon meets at 8 p.m. Mondays at Serenity Club, 209 Grayson Road, Rock Hill; at noon Tuesdays upstairs at Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church, 421 Oakland Ave., Rock Hill; at 8 p.m. Mondays at Grace Presbyterian Church, 2955 S.C. 160, Fort Mill; and at 8 p.m. Tuesdays in the house beside First Baptist Church, 121 Monroe White St., Fort Mill.
Send Community News items to email@example.com or to 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, SC 29730. Deadline for the Thursday column is 5 p.m. Monday. Deadline for the Sunday column is 5 p.m. Wednesday.