The York County Choral Society will perform Furè’s “Requiem” at 4 p.m. April 24 in Byrnes Auditorium at Winthrop University.
Additional choral selections will be performed by the York County Chamber Singers.
Tickets are $20, adults; $10, age 62 and older and $5, students with ID. Tickets are available at the door or at yorkcountychoralsociety.org.
▪ Second annual Live Well Clover 5K run/walk will be 8:30 a.m. Saturday at Clover First Baptist Church to the Larne School and back. Register at racesonline.com. Advance registration is $25; day of race, $30. To volunteer, call Amy Gonzalez at 803-222-9493.
▪ McConnell’s Community Center will host a Mother’s Day Art Sale, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. April 30 at the center, 189 Church St. Area artists will sell original art, prints, cards, crafts, jewelry and photography. Cash or checks only. For information, contact Sandy Brindle at 803-981-3598 or email email@example.com
▪ The Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd in York is sponsoring a garden tour, art and plant sale and lunch May 7. Six yards in the York area are on the tour. Tour hours are 10 a.m.-4 p.m. and lunch will be served from 11 a.m.-2:30 p.m. at the church, 108 E. Liberty St. Tickets are $15 for the tour and $15 for lunch. A lunch/tour combination ticket is $25. Tickets will be available on the day of the event at the church and in advance at the York Chamber of Commerce. For information, call 803-684-2494.
▪ The Johnson & Wales University Fresh Anointed Ministries and Winthrop University Vision of Prayze Gospel Choirs will give a concert, “Hold On...Better is Coming,” at 4:30 p.m. April 24 in the sanctuary of Freedom Temple Ministries, 215 E. Main St., Rock Hill. Admission is free.
▪ Community Bingo, hosted by Agape Senior for ages 55 and older will be 2 p.m. Tuesday at Agape Hospice, 12 N. Congress St., York, and 2 p.m. April 29 at Glenrock Baptist Church, 1815 Dobys Bridge Road, Fort Mill. Free refreshments. Limited seating. For York, RSVP to 803-818-5601; for Fort Mill, RSVP to 803-329-4544.
▪ The Master Gardeners of York County annual Spring Plant Sale will be Saturday and April 24 at the Glencairn Gardens Learning Center, 825 Edgemont Ave., Rock Hill. Hours are from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday and from 1-5 p.m. April 24. There will be a variety of bulbs, perennials, shrubs, vines, herbs and vegetables ranging in price from $1 to $10. Unsold plants will be available at the Museum of York County’s Earth Day Birthday event on Saturday, April 30. For more information, visit: www.yorkmg.org.
▪ A plant sale, sponsored by York County Christian Women’s Job Corps will be 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday at Family Trust, Dave Lyle Boulevard. Bedding plants, herbs, and vegetables, and hanging baskets for sale. Proceeds to the Job Corps, which helps women learn skills needed to become self-sufficient. Plants provided by A. B. Poe Farmer’s Exchange of Rock Hill.
▪ Breath of Home ride and rally, 11 a.m. Saturday at ballfield at the corner of Ranger Road and S.C. 55 in Clover. Registration at 9 a.m. Proceeds go to Piper Miller for medical bills. Cost is $20 per driver and $10, extra rider. There will be live music, door prizes, silent auction, hot dog and hamburger plates and T-shirts.
▪ India Hook United Methodist Women’s yard sale will be 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday at the church on Mount Gallant Road. Breakfast items for sale. Lunch includes hot dogs with all the trimmings. The men’s spring barbecue will be 10 a.m.-2 p.m. April 30 in the family life center. Whole chickens are $10; adult plates, $9 and child’s plate, $5. Plates include baked beans, slaw, roll, dessert and tea. For tickets or to place orders, call 803-329-7787. UMW will have a bake sale.
▪ Kings Mountain Chapel United Methodist Church will host its 11th annual Tractor and Engine Show, 7 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday at 1130 Philbeck Road, York. No entry fee. Display only. Sausage biscuits, hot dogs and hamburgers will be sold. Merchandise and craft vendors welcome. For information, call the church at 803-684-2493.
▪ The Northwestern High School National Honor Society yard sale, 8 a.m.-noon April 30 at the school. More than 30 vendors will participate. There will be a bake sale and Krispy Kreme doughnuts. No early birds. Proceeds go to a NHS scholarship.
▪ Affinity Health Center’s 13th Annual Dazzle and Denim fundraising event will be 7-11 p.m. May 13 at the Magnolia Room at Laurel Creek in Rock Hill. Tickets are $60, single; $100, couples, through May 6. After that, tickets will be $65 per person. For tickets go to www.affinityhealthcenter.org/dazzle or mail a check to 500 Lakeshore Parkway, Rock Hill, SC 29730. Tables can also be reserved for groups of 10 for $500.
▪ The 30th Lake Wylie Home & Garden Tour, sponsored by the Clover-Lake Wylie Republican Women’s Club, will be 10 a.m.-4 p.m. April 30. The tour will feature three homes in River Hills and two in the Allison Creek area. Tickets available at the Cleaners at Lake Wylie, the Chamber of Commerce, from club members, the River Hills Community Association office and at the main gate (on the day of the tour). Cost is $20. Transformed into a French café for the tour, the Concord Cove Restaurant will offer a choice of three Parisian-themed lunch options with dessert for $17.95. Proceeds benefit the Fay Bergman Scholarship for students in the Clover School District. For information, call Peggy Upchurch at 803-831- 2455 or Suzanne Krause at 803-831- 0689.
▪ Philadelphia United Methodist Church at 2260 Chester Highway, York, will be a stop for motorcyclists participating in a Scripture Run Saturday to raise funds for a local child with cerebral palsy. A community yard sale will be held with spaces available for $10, with proceeds going to the fundraiser. Anyone wishing to sell must provide a table and begin set up at 7 a.m. Sausage biscuits, coffee and juice will be sold. For information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ Mount Holly United Methodist Church will have its 15th annual Christian Sport Shooter Classic, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday at Rocky Creek Sporting Clay Club, Mountain Gap Road, Richburg. Registration opens at 8:30 a.m. Cost: $100, adults; $75, youth. Proceeds go to the sanctuary fund. Information and registration at mthollyumc.org.
▪ Allison Creek Bluegrass will host Cabin Creek, 7-9 p.m. Thursday at Allison Creek Presbyterian Church, York. Doors open at 6 p.m. Food available about 6:30 p.m. Admission is free. Love offering.
▪ York Parks and Recreation Department Movie Night will be April 29 at the York Recreation Complex, 74 Fourth St. Inflatables and bounce houses will begin at 6 p.m. The movie “Inside Out” will be shown at 7:30 p.m. on a big screen under the stars. Bring a blanket or chair. Admission is free for the inflatables and movie. Concessions will be for sale. No outside food or beverages will be allowed. For information, call 803-684-3742.
▪ Relay for Life team captains will meet 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Woodland United Methodist Church, 180 Cherry Road, Rock Hill. The life leadership committee will meet at 5:30 Tuesday at Woodland. Relay for Life will be 2-10 p.m. May 14 at Dutchman Creek Middle School, Mount Gallant Road, Rock Hill.
▪ The Catawba Council of the South Carolina Silver Haired Legislature will meet at 10 a.m. Wednesday at Highland Park Senior Center, 917 Standard St., Rock Hill. For information, call Wayne Kersey at 803-287- 9453.
▪ Keystone board of directors will meet 6 p.m. Monday at the Keystone Prevention Center, 1600 Ebenezer Road, Rock Hill. Open to the public. For information, call 803-324-4118.
▪ The Catawba Chapter of the DAR will meet 2 p.m. Tuesday in the church parlor of Ebenezer ARP Church, 2132 Ebenezer Road, Rock Hill. Penny Renwick will give a “History Lesson.”
▪ Indian Land VFW will meet 9:30 a.m. Saturday at 8083 Charlotte Highway, Indian Land. New members and guests arrive at 9 a.m. Veterans bring DD214. For information, call John Marker at 704-843-6930.
▪ The Rock Hill branch of the NAACP general meeting will be 9 a.m. Saturday at Bannon Hall across from St. Mary Catholic Church, 902 Crawford Road. For information, call Sandra Oborokumo at 803-325-2855.
▪ United Credit Education Services, led by Karen Shabazz will be 7 p.m. Thursday at the Rock Hill Area Chamber of Commerce, 116 E. Main St. The event is for those who need credit help. For information, call 803-322-0394
▪ York County Quilt Guild will meet 7 p.m. Monday at Grace Lutheran Church, 426 Oakland Ave., Rock Hill. Nancy McNally will present the program and trunk show on every aspect of quilting and designing, titled “What Was I Thinking???”
▪ York Soil and Water Conservation District commissioners will meet 5 p.m. Thursday at the USDA Service Center, 1460 E. Alexander Love Highway, York. Open to the public. For information, contact Barbara O’Connell at 803-684- 3137, ext. 101.
▪ The Western York County branch of the NAACP will meet 6 p.m. Thursday at the Greater York Chamber of Commerce. For information contact Wanda Simril at 803-684-6200.
▪ 4-H Youth Development, part of Clemson Extension Service in York County, will have a 4-H Summer Club interest meeting 6 p.m. Wednesday at Rock Hill School District Three Office, 600 N. Anderson Road. For information, contact Faith Isreal at 803-684-9919 ext. 113 or email email@example.com.
▪ The Vintage Club of Tega Cay’s monthly dinner will be 7 p.m. April 27 at the Phil Glennon Community Center. Cocktails begin at 6 p.m. After dinner will be a Game Night with a variety of card and board games. Open to all Tega Cay residents 50 and older. For information, call Carol Smith/Small at 704-651-0047 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lunch and learn
▪ Family Trust Investment Services will offer a free Stock Market Update, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. April 26 at Captain Steve’s Restaurant, 1975 U.S. 21, Fort Mill. Matt Griffin, financial consultant at Family Trust Investment Services, will cover market volatility, the effect of oil on the stock market, and China’s impact on the U.S. economy. Seating is limited. Register at www.familytrust.org or by calling 803-367-4158.
▪ Line dancing taught by Julia Robbins will be 7-8:30 p.m. May 2, 9, 16 and 23 at St John’s United Methodist Church, 321 S. Oakland Ave., Rock Hill. Written dance steps will be provided. All ages and skill levels are welcome. Cost is $20 with proceeds going to the church youth. Come early the first night to register. For information, call Pat at 803-372-1315 or email email@example.com
▪ Fewell Park Recreation Center will offer the following classes:
Advanced Watercolor, 10 a.m.-noon Tuesdays, April 26-May 31 led by Herb Dumaresq. Cost: $54.
Acrylic Painting Landscapes, 10 a.m.-noon Thursdays April 21-May 26 led by Brad Sabelli. Cost: $54.
Introduction to Sculpture, 10 a.m.-noon Fridays April 22-May 27 led by Brad Sabelli. Cost: $54.
Registration is taken at the center 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays at 1204 Alexander Road or at cityofrockhill.com/PRT. Registration is required. For information, call 803-329-5645.
▪ Applications are available for the York County Farm Bureau scholarship program for students pursuing agricultural or related field degrees. Applications are due June 27. For information, contact Sandra Robbins at 803-684-4235.
▪ Habitat for Humanity of York County and Lowe’s are hosting “how-to” construction clinics for women volunteering during the ninth annual National Women Build Week, April 30-May 8. A local clinic will be 8 a.m. Saturday April 23 at Lowe’s of Fort Mill at 1640 Highway 160 West. The clinic will cover “How to Install Insulation and Drywall.” To sign up, contact York County Habitat at 803-985-9244 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ The Lancaster High School class of 1976 40th reunion will be June 18 at USC-L. Tickets are $45.00. For information call 803-289-8849 or email Rsteele@mailbox.sc.edu.
▪ The Rock Hill Chapter of Finley High School alumni will meet 5 p.m. Monday at Jackson’s Cafeteria, 1735 Heckle Blvd. Anyone who graduated or attended Finley High School and those who want to join as associate members are encouraged to attend. For information, call Charlie M. Robinson at 803-327-4547 or James T. Dunham at 704-232-0793.
▪ Blackstock High School’s annual reunion will be Saturday in the school’s former gym on Schoolhouse Road. Registration and fellowship will be 11 a.m. with a picnic at 1 p.m. All students and friends invited. For information, call Susan CAssels at 803-328-1121 or Edward Hunter Mills at 803-581-2744.
▪ A Parkinson’s support group will meet at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at Westminster Towers Community Room, 1330 India Hook Road, Rock Hill. Exercises beneficial to Parkinson’s patients will be demonstrated, and an open forum will be held to discuss general and personal issues pertaining to Parkinson’s. For information, call 803-328-5231.
▪ Breeze Support Group, a spinal cord injury support group, will meet 6-7:30 p.m. Tuesday at Piedmont Medical Center in the Women’s Tower Auditorium. Wheelchair users and caregivers are invited for a free meal. For more information call 803-524-3465 or 803-524-2813
▪ Alateen meets 8-9 p.m. Thursdays at Zoar Road Club, 14701 Thomas Road, Charlotte. Meetings are for two age groups: 6-12 and 13 and older. For information, call 803-547-2124 or 704-904-7834.
▪ Al-Anon meets 8 p.m. Mondays at Serenity Club, 209 Grayson Road, Rock Hill; a noon Tuesdays upstairs at Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church, 421 Oakland Ave., Rock Hill; 8 p.m. Mondays at Grace Presbyterian Church, 2955 S.C. 160, Fort Mill; and 8 p.m. Tuesdays in the house beside First Baptist Church, 121 Monroe White St., Fort Mill.
Send Community News items to email@example.com or to 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, SC 29730. Deadline for the Thursday column is 5 p.m. Monday. Deadline for the Sunday column is 5 p.m. Wednesday.