Enquirer Herald

Army band cancels April 8 concert, cites budget cuts

The U.S. Army Field Band and Soldiers Chorus has canceled its planned April 8 concert at the Clover School District Auditorium, citing defense budget cuts required under the federal government’s sequestration.

The concert, which had been planned since mid-February, was announced to patrons attending a performing arts series that month. Tickets were printed and distributed, according to a release from the auditorium.

The auditorium staff received a March 8 phone call from tour director David Bullman, who canceled the event and "offered his sincere apologies," said the announcement. Col. Timothy J. Holtan, U.S. Army commanding officer, confirmed that the cancellation was due to required defense budget cuts.

“We have scheduled 139 performances in the coming months, all of which will be canceled under sequestration,” he said.

“These unusual fiscal constraints are forcing our nation’s senior leaders to prioritize the military’s most essential missions, ensuring that our deployed soldiers and their units remain ready, resilient, and fully supported,” Holtan said.

Master Sgt. David Bullman thanked the CSDA staff for the support the Clover community had shown the group in the past and apologized for the cancellation.

  Comments