Anglers on Lake Wylie have enjoyed a break from summer’s heat.
Erwin Gaston, co-organizer with Jeremy Cabe of the Thursday Night Tournament Trail on Lake Wylie, said the Aug. 16 event was a perfect night to go fishing.
“The skies were clear and the temperature was great,” Gaston said. “The water temperature is slowly dropping into the mid-80s and with the rain we have had recently, you can find the color of water that best fits your fishing style.”
A field of 44 teams enjoyed the break in the weather, but it was Robin Cairico and Mike Buschue who found 14.53 pounds of largemouth bass to take the win. George Bauchem and Ed Parker were second with 11.15 pounds.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
On Aug. 9, with 20-percent chance of rain, “we got it all,” Gaston said.
“For the guys who stuck it out, the fish seem to bite after dark,” he said. “We had a good turnout, with 42 boats wanting to turn this summer fishing pattern around and bring the largemouths to the scale. Well, Mother Nature won out on this night.”
Gene Webster, one of the few who battled the storm, brought five fish to the scale that weighed in at 12.64 pounds. Second went to Jarod Kimak and Gordon Smith with a weight of 11.76 pounds.
For information about the Thursday Night Tournament Trail, and past and present results, visit lwtt.org.
Sponsors of the TNTT are Dicks Sporting Goods, A-1 Adams Bail Bond Agency, AAA Plumbing, Lake Wylie Bait and Tackle, Shakey Head.Com, Jak’s Custom Baits, Koyote Fishing Tackle, Tru South Lures and The Great Outdoors.
TNTT results: Aug. 16
1. Robin Cairico/Mike Buschue, 14.53
2. George Bauchem/Ed Parker, 11.15
3. Scott Willis/Josh Gardner, 10.05
4. Josh Featherstone/Bobby Spivey, 9.81
5. Conrad Pogorzelski/Billy Wolf, 9.67
6. Gene Webster, 9.41
7. Gerald Ramsey/Gerald Ramsey Jr., 8.5
8. Mike Perry, 7.64
9. Alan Shad/Ken Moore, 7.57
10. Wes May/Willy Nichols, 7.45
11. Clay Stevens/Jason Powell, 6.62
12. Jarod Kimak, 4.65
Big fish: Clay Stevens/Jason Powell, 4.57
TNTT results: Aug. 9
1. Gene Webster, 12.64
2. Jarod Kimak/Gordan Smith, 11.76
3. Mark Humphries, 11.17
4. Todd Sosebee/Isiac Sosebee, 10.74
5. Rob Johnson/Matt Johnson, 9.20
6. Greg Williams/Brian Williams, 9.17
7. Andy Beechly/Pat McNulty, 8.74
8. Wes May/Willy Nichols, 8.39
9. Glen Sparrow/Steven Sparrow, 7.18
10. Gerald Ramsey/Gerald Ramsey Jr., 6.95
11. Eric Brink/Tim Sabella, 4.76
12. Gene Sparks/Ted Mobley, 4.41
13. Conrad Pogorzelski/Billy Wolf, 3.10
14. Bucky Helms/Steve Addington, 2.50
Big fish: Mark Humphries, 3.91