• On Oct. 4, the eighth grade OMS Lady Eagles volleyball team won the Bearcat Tournament. The tournament started at 8:30 a.m. and was not over until 9 p.m. The girls started the morning in the pool play, facing Banks Trail, Castle Heights, Clover Middle and Dutchman Creek.Shia Jones
played great at the net, hitting and tipping the ball.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
had key serves during the pool play. The team advanced to the silver bracket, first defeating Rawlinson Road in two sets, 25-14 and 25-19.Maddy McMullen
had an awesome block in the second set, while
dominated serving 8 points in a row in the first set.Vanessa Lewis
played a great game at setter. Next the team faced Castle Heights and took them out in two sets winning 25-19 and 25-21.Tiffany Dominigue
served 9 serves in a row in the first set.Sophia Sprouse
did a great job setting upDominigue, Taylor Blake
at the net.McMullen
had an awesome kill to win the first set for the team. The team played excellent defensively throughout these two matches.Ehrnschwender
was selected as the All-Tournament Player from OMS.
• On Oct. 7, the eighth-graders crushed Fort Mill in two sets winning 25-9 and 25-10.Maddy McMullen
was the top server of the night serving 9 serves in a row.Angelica Jeanty
also had great serves and played excellent defense.Vanessa Lewis
did an awesome job setting up her teammates at the net.
• The Oakridge Middle School eighth-graders defeated Gold Hill Oct. 9 in two sets winning 25-23 and 25-10. After a close first set, the girls dominated the second set.Maddy McMullen
were the top servers of the night with McMullen serving 9 in a row.Taylor Blake
did an excellent job covering the court defensively and had several strong hits at the net.Tiffany Dominigue
played an all around great game defensively and offensively, andRachel Cullen
played well at the net.Angelica Jeanty
stepped up at the end to win the match with an incredible kill.
• The OMS seventh grade volleyball team participated in the annual Bearcat Tournament in Rock Hill Oct. 4. The Golden Eagles won the first two games against Gold Hill 25-14 and 25-8 in the pool play.Maggie Payne
delivered 7 in a row at one point. Oakridge’s next two games against Fort Mill did not go as well. The Golden Eagles lost 25-17 and 25-13. Shaking off the losses, the girls then played two games against Rawlinson Road winning the first 25-21 and losing the second 25-20.Lakyn Seamster
contributed to the win with her serving in the first game. OMS played its final game of pool play against Banks Trail. Losing the first 18-25, the girls fought hard and won the second 27-26.Brooklyn Gunn
had an excellent game with digs and serves. The Golden Eagles’ 4record of 4-4 placed the team third in its pool. The long day caught up to the ladies and OMS suffered two close, yet disappointing losses: 25-19 and 25-23 to Castle Heights in the silver bracket round.Brooklyn Gunn
was awarded the All-Tournament Player for her serving, hustle and attacks of the ball at the net. Throughout the day, her consistency earned the team many points.
• On Oct. 7, the seventh grade Lady Eagles faced Fort Mill Middle School. With a jump server and 6-foot tall hitter, Fort Mill presented a challenge for the Golden Eagles.Olivia John
made a number of digs and excellent passes.Maggie Payne
played well at the net, blocking a few of the hits.Brooklyn Gunn
was set up and hit the ball back at Fort Mill, andDakota Peters
did an excellent job serving and earning the team points. The Lady Jackets game play was too strong and OMS lost in two sets 25-9 and 25-10.
• On Oct. 9, the seventh grade Lady Eagles played Gold Hill Middle School. The Lady Eagles lost the first set 22-25 but won the second and third 25-16 and 15-11.Brooklyn Gunn
hit the ball well including an attack with her left hand.Maggie Wilson
served an excellent night scoring her team 12 points overall.Maggie Payne
showed improvement at the net by blocking and tipping the ball as well as setting up the hit.
• On Oct. 10, the seventh grade team team lost its second straight game in the final seconds by a score of 22-20.Zion Robbins
started the scoring with a 30 yard TD andDrew Moore
added the PAT. After Springfield tied the game,Tay Cupe
added a short run for a TD to put OMS back up. Springfield scored to go up 16-14 beforeDrew Moore
scored to put the Golden Eagles back on top 20-14. Springfield scored again with one minute to go in game adding the PAT to go up 22-20. OMS marched downfield and ran out of time inside the 5-yard line. The Golden Eagles were led on offense byCupe
with 11 rushes for 77 yards, 1 TD, I reception for 14 yds;Moore
had 8 rushes 57 yards 1 TD, 2 pass completions for 35 yards, and a 2-point conversion; andRobbins
with 1 rush for a 37-yard TD and one reception 21 yards. On defense, Cupe had an interception, Moore had 7 tackles,Caleb Ratcliff
a sack, andHayden Johnson
• On Oct. 10, the eighth grade team lost to Springfield 28-0.Dalyn Garrett
notched two quarterback sacks and had several defensed passes and tackles.Drew Brightman, Robbie Rose
had several tackles.Blake Carter
put a lot of pressure on the quarterback throughout the game.Heze Massey
had his first interception of the season, picking off a pass intended for a wide receiver in the back corner of the end zone. Offensively, Oakridge moved the ball methodically, but once again, there were many turnovers.Chance Woodworth, Garrett, Dalton Eddington, Brightman
had tough runs every series. Holland and Woodworth were both able to break 30-plus yard runs.Lake King, Taylor Stoneburner, Hunter O’Donegan
had nice runs. On special teams,Drayton Adams
had a great kickoff return for about 50 yards, but it was called back due to a penalty.