Serving the Bethel and Lake Wylie communities
• In-Person Soccer Registration: Free soccer clinics and in-person registration will be held from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. tonight and Thursday at The Palisades. The LWAA Soccer program has accepted an invitation to join with Charlotte United at The Palisades starting with our fall 2009 season. We are now expanding to include all children from the Lake Wylie, Bethel and Clover areas, and we also are adding the southwest Mecklenburg County community. Most of our games will be held at the new soccer complex at The Palisades. The partnership with Charlotte United will allow us to offer more clinics for players and coaches. Our players also will have an easier path to join the competitive upper level soccer offered by Charlotte United. We will be keeping our registration fees as low as possible: $45 for the fall season. We hope to grow to more than 400 children this fall. Online registration is available with a nominal processing fee. Visit lwsports.org.
• Conditioning Camps: We are offering a two-week conditioning camp beginning Monday for soccer, football and cheer. The football and soccer camps will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. Monday-Friday. Cheer camp will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Monday-Wednesday and Friday. All camps will be held at River Hills Association fields in Lake Wylie. The fee costs $25 per player, which includes a T-shirt. Camps are open to the public; you do not need to be a LWAA player to participate. We are currently offering online registration at lwsports.org.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
• Football and Cheer Registration: Cheer registration is now closed. We have a few openings at each level of football and will continue to accept players until rosters are filled. We will fill available spots on a first-come basis, so don't be left out. All football players from Clover, Lake Wylie, York and Rock Hill can play with Lake Wylie Pop Warner. We also can take Tiny Mites from Tega Cay and Fort Mill. Please check our Web site for updated information regarding availability.
• Middle School Football Players: LWAA offers a great alternative to middle school football for players aged 12 to 14. We limit our rosters to 25 players and have five coaches, whereas middle school teams strive for 45-plus on a roster with two coaches. This makes a difference in playing time and in player-to-coach ratio. We also run the high school playbook, so players may have an advantage for high school ball if they begin playing for LWAA. We are still accepting registrations for this age group. Contact LWAA if you have questions.
• Upcoming Dates
Monday, July 20: Football conditioning camp, 6-8 p.m. Monday-Friday
July 25: Football equipment fitting and distribution
Aug. 1: Football and cheer practices begin
Aug. 8: Panthersfest at BOA stadium
• Volunteers and donations: We are always looking for continued support. To learn more about LWAA volunteer opportunities, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. We are still seeking a storage/office building. If you have or know someone who has property, please contact us. If you would like to donate cash, time, goods or services, call the association at 803-831-9298. Volunteers may fill out a volunteer form at eteamz.com/lwaa and mail to LWAA, P.O. Box 5299, Lake Wylie, SC 29710.