Do you remember?
• Fort Mill Town officials unanimously praised Springs Industries' donation of its complete water plant to the town.
• Eighteen-year-old Kim Harvey was chosen as the first ever Miss Fort Mill High.
• Mike Howie, building inspector for the Town of Fort Mill, resigned his position.
• The Indian Land Volunteer Fire Department was one of the first organizations in the state to participate in the Adopt-a-Highway program.
• Joe Bixler, president, and Oscar Jones, vice president, led the Fort Mill High School Student Council.
• Capt. Jerry L. Phillips, formerly of Fort Mill, was awarded the Army Commendation Medal while serving in Vietnam.
• Kathy Amato won first place in the Spelling Bee at A.O. Jones School. Judy Sullivan and Cheryl Ervin finished second and third.
• The home of the Vance Taylor family in Indian Land was destroyed by fire.
• The Fort Mill War Memorial Commission announced plans for a handsome clubhouse for the new golf course currently under construction.
• Bob Martin of Fort Mill was elected co-captain of the 1948 Clemson College football team.
• Southbound passenger trains through Fort Mill were delayed several hours by a freight train derailment near Pineville, N.C.
• Fresh country eggs were selling for 25 cents a dozen at local grocery stores.
• Dorrit Ashton played a return engagement to Town Hall in the "Little Detective."
• The local fruit crop escaped a late winter snowfall and frost with little damage.