Don't miss this:
• Archaeologists will speak about what they've found at the Catawba Indian site on the land for the planned new York County museum near Sutton Road on Tuesday, June 17, 6:30-7:30 p.m. at the Fort Mill Public Library, 1818 Baxter Crossing in Fort Mill. For the first half of the 18th century, "Nassaw Town" was the political center of the Catawba Indian Nation. Archeologists from the University of North Carolina have been surveying and excavating the site, located on the property being developed for a new museum on the Catawba River. Brett Riggs and Stephen Davis will speak about Catawba archeology, including their current work, at "Archeology in the Old Catawba Nation." Work at the site in 2007 revealed a large, compact circular town of rectangular, post-built houses. Excavations have yielded native pottery, animal bone and botanical remains as well as trade materials such as ammunition, glass beads and kaolin pipe fragments. Free; seating limited. Reservations required by Monday, June 16.
• Music and ice cream, with Friends of Andrew Jackson State Park, 6 p.m. Friday, June 13. Calvin Carter performs oldies and country and the Friends will be serving up the homemade ice cream. Call (803) 285-3344
• Summer concert series, Missbehavin' performs 7-10 p.m. Saturday, June 14, at Runde Field in Tega Cay. Rainout hotline is 548-1750.
• Benefit for C.J., 11 a.m.- 2 p.m. Saturday, June 14, at Carolina Pilates, 856 Gold Hill Rd., Fort Mill. Carolina Pilates is donating proceeds from several ongoing specials to the family of a local preschooler battling cancer. Free refreshments.
• Dinosaurs live, Children are invited to this interactive theater production by StageWorks Theatre at 1, 2:30 and 4 p.m. Tuesday, June 17, at the Fort Mill Public Library. Call 547-4114.
• Blood drive, 3-7:30 p.m. Friday, June 20, at Knights Stadium, 2280 Deerfield Drive, Fort Mill.
• Fostering pets, a seminar by the Humane Society of Lancaster County 9 a.m.-noon Saturday, June 21, at the AFLAC store at 126 S. Main St., Lancaster. Free. Call (803) 285-1401 or (803) 289-9820 or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
• Green Teens,Make a jean purse! Turn your old jeans into a funky purse 4-6 p.m. Thursday, June 26, at the Fort Mill Public Library. Call 547-4114 to register (required).
• Writing contests, sponsored by the Arts Council of York County and the York County Public Library system. Juried literary competition for short fiction and poetry. Deadline for entries is Monday, July 7. Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.yorkcountyarts.org.
• Calling all classmates,The class of 1998 from Fort Mill and Indian Land high schools are planning 10-year reunions and is seeking information from class members. ILHS grads can send an e-mail to email@example.com or call (803) 431-1202. FMHS grads can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 548-4801.
• Line dance lessons continue, sponsored by the Lancaster Shag Club, each Thursday through the summer. 7 p.m. at the Lancaster Moose Lodge, 200 Moose Dr., Lancaster. $2 per person per lesson. For details, contact Lancaster Shag Club President, Nita Brown, at (803) 286-5694.
• Bingo, good eats, at Fort Mill American Legion Post 43. Call 547-2414.
• Guitar lessons, at the Leroy Springs Recreation Complex. Start from the basics and build from there. All styles and skills levels. Private lessons are available in the evenings and Saturday mornings. $70/members, $80/non-members. Call 547-4575.