As the Charlotte Knights continue to struggle, they will have to do so without designated hitter Jeff Liefer, who has called it quits.
Liefer retired from baseball recently. He was hitting .224 with three home runs and 16 RBIs in 40 games. Liefer, 33, played at Long Beach State in college and was the 25th pick in the first round of the 1995 draft by the White Sox.
Liefer toiled in the minors for four seasons before getting to break in with Chicago in 1999, when he appeared in 45 games.
Liefer played for the White Sox in part of the 2000-2002 seasons, before being traded to Montreal and Tampa Bay. He played in 35 games for Montreal and nine games for Tampa Bay in 2003.
Picked up by Milwaukee, he played in 16 games for them in 2004 and 19 games for Cleveland in 2005. In parts of seven seasons in the majors, he appeared in 288 games a batted .230 with 31 home runs and 113 RBIs.
In parts of 10 seasons in the minors, Liefer appeared in 843 games and hit .281 with 149 home runs and 578 RBIs. He played in Charlotte for three seasons, 1999-2001, before returning to the Knights in 2008.
• The Knights are currently eight games out of first place behind Durham with a 29-41 record through Monday. However, they aren't in last. That honor goes to Norfolk, which has a 25-45 record and is 12 games back of Durham.
Home cooking hasn't been as good to the Knights as being on the road. At home, Charlotte is 13-19 and a little better at 16-22 on the road.
Charlotte Knights upcoming games and last week's results
• June 19 vs. Leigh Valley,
• June 20 vs. Leigh Valley,
• June 21 vs. Leigh Valley,
• June 22 vs. Leigh Valley,
• June 23 vs. Norfolk, 7:15 p.m.
• June 24 vs. Norfolk, 12:15 p.m.
• June 25 vs. Norfolk, 7:15 p.m.
• June 26 vs. Norfolk, 7:15 p.m.
• June 27 at Richmond, 7 p.m.
• June 28 at Richmond, 7 p.m.
• June 29 at Norfolk, 1:15 p.m.
• June 30 at Norfolk, 12:15 p.m.
• July 1 at Durham, 7:05 p.m.
• July 2 at Durham, 7:05 p.m.