Don't miss this:
• The annual July 4, firing of the cannon and Independence Day Celebration in downtown Fort Mill will begin at 10 a.m. at the historic bandstand in Confederate Park on Main Street. The event will also feature patriotic music.
• Blood drive, 2:30-7 p.m. Thursday, July 3, at St. John's UMC, 130 Tom Hall St., Fort Mill.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
• Tega Cay all day, Day's activities for July 4 include canoe jousting, boat parade, ski show and fire works. For more information and registration information forms to enter a float, visit Tegacaysc.org.
• Fish fry, 4:30-7:30 p.m. Friday, July 4, hosted by the Tega Cay Lions Club at the Philip Glennon Community Center in Tega Cay. $10 for adults, $5 for children. Eat in or take-out. Tickets may be purchased from any Tega Cay Lion or call 548-1648 or 548-3539.
• Writing contests, sponsored by the Arts Council of York County and the York County Public Library system. Juried literary competition for short fiction and poetry. Deadline for entries is Monday, July 7. Send an e-mail to email@example.com or visit www.yorkcountyarts.org.
• Storybook Theater, for kids of all ages includes puppet shows, poetry break and creative drama. 10-10:30 a.m. Monday, July 7, at the Lancaster County Library. Call 285-1502.
• Bug Juice,, 1, 2 and 4 p.m. Tuesday, July 8, at the Fort Mill Public Library. Mary Malaria, the fly, goes out in search of her fortune and encounters some greedy bugs who won't share their bug juice because of the drought.
• Basketball barbecue, 9 a.m. Saturday, July 12, at Harris Street park. Play and eat. First come, first served. Teams and coaches welcome. Free. Call Wes Robertson at (803) 370-6787.
• Booster Club fundraiser, Sign up now for the Fort Mill District Band Booster Club's annual charity golf tournament with a shotgun start at 10 a.m. Thursday, July 31, at the Regent Park Golf Course. This event is open to all golfers and hackers interested in supporting arts for all students. It supports the needs in the Fort Mill School system by purchasing instruments and providing scholarships for gifted students. Call (704) 217-3230.
• Youth theater, The Fort Mill Community Playhouse youth production of "Pollyanna" will be presented at 7:30 p.m. July 10-12 and at 3 p.m. July 13, at the Banks Street theater. For more information, call 548-8102 or visit www.fortmillplayhouse.org.
• Puppet show, "Big Bad, Little Red, Pig Show" 1, 2:30 and 4 p.m. Tuesday, July 15, at the Fort Mill Public Library. Hilarious fun ensues as two classic children's stories are squished together.
• Art exhibit, and sale. Works created by local children and teens, 5-8 p.m. Friday, July 11, at Bob Doster's Backstreet Gallery, 217 East Gay Street, Lancaster. Call (803) 285-9190 or (803) 287-7853 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Help the Humane Society, of York County and have fun at the same time at golf tournament fundraiser that begins at noon Wednesday, July 16, at the Tega Cay Golf Club. Four-Person Captain's Choice (bring your own team). $90 entry fee includes 18 holes, For more information, call Erik Baddeley at 547-0170 or send an e-mail to email@example.com.
• Productions Porkchop Productions, presents "The Ugly Duckling" - with maybe a few funny changes - 10-10:45 a.m. Tuesday, July 21, at the Lancaster County Library. Call 285-1502.
• The Fort Mill High School Class of 1994, is organizing a reunion and is trying to contact all former class members. For more information on the reunion, or to update your contact information with the reunion committee, contact Abby Rodgers Haberkam at firstname.lastname@example.org.