Don't miss this:
Third annual Friends Concert, 3 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 24, at the Lancaster County Council for the Arts, 201 W. Gay Street Lancaster. Local artists included in a program of classical music. For more information, call (803) 417-0942.
• Lunch and Learn, hosted by the Fort Mill YMCA, 12:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 21. A guest speaker will give a short presentation on "The Alzheimer's Journey: A Family Member's Perspective" by Marcia Lamb and Jane Jones, co-leaders of the Alzheimer's Support Group at The Haven. Free. Bring your lunch. The YMCA will provide drinks and sides. Register by calling 548-8020.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
• Blues jam, held by the Fort Mill Blues Club 7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 21, at McHale's on Gold Hill Road, Fort Mill. Free. All are welcome.
• Blood drive, 3-7:30 p.m. Friday, Aug. 22, at Knights Stadium, 2280 Deerfield Dr., Fort Mill.
• Gospel singing, by two groups will be featured by Westerly Hills Baptist Church at 7 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 23. A love offering will be taken.
• Survivor Challenge, Team up and show off your athletic skills in a series of events 7:30 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 23, at the Fort Mill YMCA in Baxter. $25. Call 548-8020.
• Girls on the Run, begins fall registration Monday, Aug. 25, at the Leroy Springs Recreation Complex and other local sites. Girls on the Run is an after- school program with a mission to educate and prepare girls for a lifetime of self respect and healthy living. Visit www.gotrtricountysc.org or call Lindy Morris at 802-7210.
• Shag and line dance lessons, with Nita Brown 7-9 p.m. Tuesday evenings beginning Aug. 26, at the Avant Garde Center. $5 per lesson. No partner necessary. Call (803) 287-7853.
• The first Tega Cay Toys for Tots 5K Run, and One Mile Family Fun Run/Walk takes place at 9 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 30, at Turner Field. The event is sponsored by the city and Run Adventurz. Proceeds from the event will go to The Marine Toys for Tots Foundation of York County to benefit families and children in need during the 2008 holiday season. Visit runadventurz.com.
• Celebrate Van Wyck, at the community's 10th annual festival 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 6. Live entertainment, crafts, games, food and more. Proceeds generated will be used for special projects and operating expenses of the Van Wyck Community Center. For more information, including reserving vending space, call 285-1076 or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Little Miss and Teen Miss Fort Mill and Tega Cay pageant, will be held on at 3 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 6, at Gold Hill Elementary School. Girls ages 2-19 are eligible to compete. Age is determined by your age on June 1, 2009. Two winners from each age group will be crowned and given the opportunity to represent Fort Mill and Tega Cay in the upcoming Little Miss South Carolina to be held in June of 2009. Call Linda Hoverman O'Neal at 547-3570 or (704) 904-0117 or send an e-mail to ONeal@aol.com.
• Teddy Bear Time, is a musically active storytime for ages 2-3 and includes books, music, rhymes, bubbles & lots of action at the Lancaster Library. Six-week series begins Monday, Sept. 8. Space is limited. Call (803) 285-1502.
• Dolly Parton's Imagination Library, comes to the Fort Mill Family Resource Center, 513 Banks Street 9 a.m.-noon and 3-6 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 10. For babies and children up to age 5. Guest readers include Mayor Danny Funderburk and Fort Mill Superintendent of Schools Keith Calicutt. Call 548-1754.
• Free concert, Joystick plays music from the 80s to today's Top 40 7-10 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 20, at Turner Field in Tega Cay. Parking available at lower tennis courts and trolleys running from Turner Field starting at 5:30 p.m. Bring your lawn chairs and blankets, but no BYOB, pets or grills. The rainout hotline is 548-1750.