Fort Mill Times

This Week in - October 15, 2008

Colony House administrator Lib Jarrell assisted Fort Mill Town Manager David Hudspeth in cutting the ribbon to officially open the Colony House expansion.
Colony House administrator Lib Jarrell assisted Fort Mill Town Manager David Hudspeth in cutting the ribbon to officially open the Colony House expansion.

Do you remember?

1988

• Asbestos was found in some Fort Mill schools and Assistant Superintendent Ken Beam planned to recommend its removal to the school board.

• In a split vote, the Tega Cay City Council decided to withdraw a class-action lawsuit over which property owners could build docks on Lake Wylie.

• Confederate Park was submitted for approval as Fort Mill's first historic landmark.

1968

• Fort Mill grew again as an area on Harris Street was annexed into town limits.

• An underdog Fort Mill football team humbled the favored Clover Blue Eagles 35-14 behind three long touchdown runs by Bobby White that covered 35, 40 and 60 yards.

• The 10th annual Springs Art Show and Contest opened at the Lancaster National Guard Armory.

• M. Storme Young III, a student at Clemson University, was selected for the 1968-'69 edition of "Who's Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges."

1948

• Mayor Luther Patterson announced that Halloween would be observed on Saturday night, Oct. 30, instead of Sunday.

1928

• A fine cow belonging to R.J. Downs of Pineville, N.C., was killed after being diagnosed with hydrophobia. Several people were also treated for rabies.

1908

• The clerk's sale of the Sellers house and lot on Forrest Street went to R. Hart, attorney for the Bank of Clarendon, for $1,200.

  Comments