Last week, Fort Mill School District officials released proposed enrollment, ethnic and socioeconomic figures for the district's seven elementary schools next school year under a reassignment plan recommended to the school board last Monday.
A school board vote on the issue is scheduled for Nov. 3.
The district is redrawing attendance lines as it prepares to open two new elementary schools in August - Sugar Creek Elementary off Farm House Road and Pleasant Knoll Elementary off Pleasant Road.
Some parents had expressed concerns in a previous meeting that proposed student demographics at Sugar Creek would include a percentage of students who receive government-subsidized school lunches that is higher than the district average.
Under a proposal recommended at the Oct. 20 school board meeting, nearly 25 percent of Sugar Creek students would receive government-subsidized meals, just slightly lower than in previous proposals.
Following are demographics for the district's elementary school population and for each elementary school under the proposal that is recommended by administrators:
Fort Mill School District elementary schools
Fort Mill Elementary
• Enrollment: 784
• Ethnic makeup: white, 77 percent, black, 14.7 percent, other, 8.3 percent
• Free and reduced lunch population: 23.7 percent
Gold Hill Elementary
• Enrollment: 809
• Ethnic makeup: white, 89.7 percent, black, 2 percent, other, 8.3 percent
• Free and reduced lunch population: 6.4 percent
Orchard Park Elementary
• Enrollment: 563
• Ethnic makeup: white, 78.7 percent, black, 14.2 percent, other, 7.1 percent
• Free and reduced lunch population: 21.5 percent
• Enrollment: 525
• Ethnic makeup: white, 75.6 percent, black, 14.9 percent, other, 9.5 percent
• Free and reduced lunch population: 30.5 percent
• Enrollment: 470
• Ethnic makeup: white, 80.8 percent, black, 4.9 percent, other, 14.3 percent
• Free and reduced lunch population: 14 percent
Sugar Creek Elementary
• Enrollment: 586
• Ethnic makeup: white, 64.7 percent, black, 9.9 percent, other, 25.4 percent
• Free and reduced lunch population: 24.6 percent
Pleasant Knoll Elementary
• Enrollment: 753
• Ethnic makeup: white, 80.2 percent, black, 6.9 percent, other, 12.9 percent
• Free and reduced lunch population: 10.6 percent