Do you remember?
• Miller F. Coggins was recognized in the "Citizen's Spotlight" feature of the Fort Mill Times.
• Roy Lee Hammond, retired owner of Hammonds Restaurant, passed away at the age of 56.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Herald
• Jesse Jacobs Sr., a Fort Mill brick mason, purchased the first vehicle sold at Fort Mill Ford's new location at Gold Hill Road and I-77.
• Jim Essian, newly named field manager of the Charlotte Knights baseball team, met with reporters and discussed the upcoming season for the Chicago Cubs' AA affiliate.
• USAF Capt. John L. Adams, formerly of Fort Mill, was presented the 21st Air Force Outstanding Achievement Award.
• Army Sgt. Tommy Culp, twice wounded and the recipient of the Bronze Star while serving in Vietnam, returned to Fort Mill after his discharge.
• Petitions requesting the annexation of the Paradise community into the town limits of Fort Mill were presented to the town council by Simon and Albert White.
• Two Fort Mill students, Nancy Hamilton and Frances McCallister, were named to the High Honor Roll at York Tech.
• Dr. and Mrs. H.G. Settle of Fort Mill were injured in an automobile accident in Spartanburg.
• The winners of the Jaycee Christmas Home Decorating Contest were M.G. Rogers, White Street, Arthur Ferrell, Park Drive, and Lorraine Helms, corner of Academy and Monroe White streets.
• Fravor, Edward and Henry Kimbrell arrived in Fort Mill from Syracuse, N.Y., where they had been employed for some time.
• A gunfight in the Paradise section of Fort Mill sent one young man, Earle Steele, to a Rock Hill hospital.
• All passenger trains passing through Fort Mill carried extra coaches to accommodate the holiday travelers.
• A rare Christmas Day thunderstorm struck Fort Mill with hail falling in some parts of the township.