Do you remember?
• Fort Mill Mayor Charlie Powers and Tega Cay Mayor Stan Fisher tossed out the first pitches for the first Charlotte Knights game played in Fort Mill. The Knights defeated the Jacksonville Expos 3-1.
• The Fort Mill School Board hired Steve Boyd as the new Fort Mill High School head football coach and athletic director.
• Bennie Bennett, Fort Mill boys basketball coach, resigned and took a similar position at Clover High School.
• Preliminary plans for Fort Mill's first historic district were completed and received mixed reviews from local business people.
• Bill Sullivan was selected to play in the North-South High School All-Star basketball game. Bobby White was selected to the similar all-star football game.
• Rusty Adkins, former Fort Mill and Clemson All-Star baseball player, was assigned to the Birmingham Barons of the AA Southern League.
• Pfc. Charles M. Broome, U.S. Army, reported for his new assignment in Korea.
• Charles Pruitt Blankenship Sr., 66, a well known farmer of the Gold Hill section of Fort Mill, passed away at his home.
• The long-planned campaign to raise $25,000 for the Fort Mill Township War Memorial was set to begin.
• The subfreezing temperatures and heavy frost of Easter Sunday completely wiped out the local peach crop.
• Fort Mill merchants were complaining that the unseasonably cold weather had a depressing effect on business.
• The Rev. A.W. Shaw, pastor of Unity Presbyterian Church, was in Chester attending the spring meeting of the Bethel Presbytery.
• State and county officials seemed determined this year to enforce the income tax law.
• The Flint Hill School, with Zorado Bailes as teacher, closed for the year with the usual picnic and games for the kids.