Fort Mill Times

This Week in History - April 22, 2009

Cafe on Main co-owners Margaret House and Tammy Therrell cut the ribbon to their new downtown Fort Mill restaurant. Family, friends and members of the Fort Mill Area Chamber of Commerce were on hand.
Cafe on Main co-owners Margaret House and Tammy Therrell cut the ribbon to their new downtown Fort Mill restaurant. Family, friends and members of the Fort Mill Area Chamber of Commerce were on hand.

Do you remember?

1989

• For the first time in York County history, three different governments, Fort Mill, Rock Hill and York County, came together for a public project - the handling of sewage in Fort Mill Township.

• George Shinn, owner of the Charlotte Hornets and Charlotte Knights, was the guest speaker for the annual Fort Mill Area Chamber of Commerce banquet.

• Springs Farms offered pick your own strawberries for $4.25 per four-quart box.

• Tim Thulin of Indian Land High School was selected for the 1989 Spirit of America Marching Band's two-week tour of Europe.

1969

• Ty Boyd, Charlotte radio and TV personality, accepted an invitation to serve as Master of Ceremonies for the annual Miss Fort Mill Pageant.

• Mrs. Annie Culp Bradford, 87, a prominent Fort Mill woman, passed away at Providence Convalescent Home in Charlotte.

• Five Fort Mill ladies, Elizabeth Grimball, Kola Reid, Dot Richards, Helen Williams and Helen Bryant, formed the Fort Mill team that won the eighth annual Springs Cup Golf Championship.

• William W. Blackwelder, 1961 Fort Mill High graduate, was commissioned a second Lieutenant in the U.S. Army.

1949

• Majestic Theater manager Ralph El. Ramey announced a reduction in the price of an adult ticket from 40 cents to 30 cents.

• More than $9,000 had been pledged to the Fort Mill War Memorial during the first week of the campaign.

1929

• Three Fort Mill Boy Scouts, Vernon Bailes, Benford Powers and Manly Young, passed all their second class tests.

• Douglas Nims was named manager of a baseball team being organized in Fort Mill. Their games would be played at the Whiteville Park field.

1909

• The old warehouse near the railroad, south of the freight depot, was being torn away to make room for a much larger building.

• Col. Leroy Springs of Lancaster let a contract for the erection of a neat, six-room cottage on his Bailey Plantation north of town.

  Comments