Fort Mill Times

This Week in History

The Firehouse Cloggers strutted their stuff with some high-spirited foot-stomping at the Carolina Legends Music Festival at Andrew Jackson State Park.
The Firehouse Cloggers strutted their stuff with some high-spirited foot-stomping at the Carolina Legends Music Festival at Andrew Jackson State Park.

Do you remember?

1989

• Fort Mill's first recycling day was a huge success as more than 30,000 pounds of paper, glass and aluminum were collected.

• George Shinn announced possible plans to build a regional mall near his baseball stadium off Gold Hill Road.

• Richard Franklin, Fort Mill's public works director, won the District 58 Conference Award of the Toastmasters International Speech Contest.

• Renovation of the Harris Street, Steele Street and Doby's Bridge parks was nearly complete.

1969

• It was announced that the Hon. Strom Thurmond would be the guest speaker at the Flint Hill Memorial Association annual meeting.

• J. K. (Red) Farris, Fort Mill businessman, was elected mayor of Pineville, N.C., unseating the incumbent.

• Bobby White, football, Dottie Dye, girls basketball, Bill Sullivan, boys basketball, and Doug Sullivan, baseball, won MVP awards at the Fort Mill High School All-Sports Banquet.

• Coleman Saylors, a popular young Fort Mill man, passed away at the age of 24. His death was attributed to leukemia.

1949

• George Fish School received a thank you letter from a German woman after she received a Red Cross package sent by the school.

• Several hundred students of the Fort Mill Grammar School were escorted to the Center Theater for a special 9 a.m. showing of "Little Women."

1929

• The Fort Mill community experienced heavy rains and high winds for several days putting farming operations at a standstill.

• Unity Cemetery was being resurveyed in order to make the unsold grave spots smaller. The cemetery had been filling up rapidly.

1909

• A mule, hitched to a buggy, frightened by a passing automobile, bolted, throwing a young boy out before crashing into a telephone pole.

• Fred Kimbrell bought the blacksmith shop of W. B. Carothers and continued the business at the Bailes shop.

  Comments