Do you remember?
• Laura Wieland was named Valedictorian and Lori Kiesling Salutatorian for the Class of 1989 at Fort Mill High School.
• Indian Land High School Valedictorian was Laura Bryan and Salutatorian was Tracy Hamilton.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
• Fort Mill Town Government began a crack down on tax cheats. More than $8,000 had been collected so far.
• Amy Martin, star shortstop on the Fort Mill High School softball team, was named to the All-state AAA team.
• Virginia Crooks was selected as the new Miss Fort Mill at the annual pageant held at A.O. Jones School. Miss Karen Phiffer was first runner-up and Miss Lynn Varnadore was second runner-up.
• Mrs. Alvie Lee Cunnup Blamkenship resigned her position as Fort Mill City Clerk and Treasurer.
• The Fort Mill Town Council announced plans for a summer day camp for the Paradise Community.
• Mike Downing of the United States Marine Corps was visiting his home in Fort Mill after a year of combat in Vietnam. His next assignment was the Marine Corps Honor Guard in Washington, D.C.
• The Fort Mill Town Council named Frank Armstrong as the town's new police chief replacing C.E.Mize.
• The Easy Pay Store on Main Street in Fort Mill, was selling six-foot GE refrigerators for $189.75 and the eight-foot model for $228.75.
• Lucy Delleney was promoted to the principalship of the Riverview School taking the place of Nellie Whitesell.
• All but two or three Main Street merchants sign an agreement to close their stores on Thursday afternoons during the summer.
• Chief of Police V.D. Potts fought for his life after being attacked by a much larger man. During the intense struggle for Chief Potts' pistol, the chief was able to pull another pistol from his pocket and fire two shots, killing his assailant instantly.
• The Rev. Edward S. Reeves, pastor of the Baptist Church, returned to Fort Mill from Louisville, Ky., where he attended the Southern Baptist Convention.