Fort Mill Times

This week in history

1994

•  Boy Scout Troop 108 of Fort Mill celebrated its 50th anniversary. The troop was formed at St. John’s United Methodist Church with W. H. Gibson as Scoutmaster.



•  Dr. Michael Basham, superintendent of the Scott County, Va., school system, was chosen to lead the Fort Mill School District.



•  John Sanders Day was declared by the Mecklenburg County Board of Commissioners in honor of Fort Mill native John “Mr. Shine” Sanders.



•  Pfc. Jonathan A. Munn, 1992 Fort Mill High School graduate, was decorated with the Army Achievement Medal at Fort Sill, Okla.



1974

•  Fort Mill added its second telephone exchange. The 548 exchange was placed in service by the Fort Mill Telephone Co.



•  James R. “Jimmy” Honeycutt returned to Fort Mill and hung out his shingle as an attorney on the second floor of the Center Theatre building.



•  IMPCO represented Fort Mill in the South Carolina Recreational Central District softball tournament and finished second in the field of 13.



•  Tommy O’Bannion, 16-year-old Fort Mill boy with a rare bone disease, was in the hospital with his 26th broken bone.



1954

•  Dr. Max A. Culp opened an office at 132 Confederate St. Fort Mill for the general practice of medicine.



•  Among the Girl Scouts attending Camp Rotary were Jo Ann Wilson, Georgia Becknell, Brenda Phifer, Nancy Neal and Mary Ann Garrison.



1934

•  Bratton D. Epps and F. H. Wilson announced they would run for the Fort Mill Township seat of the Board of County Commissioners.



•  The Rev. Oswell Smith of the First Baptist Church urged the people of Fort Mill to vote no in the impending election on the liquor question.



1914

•  Chief of Police D. N. Gaston returned from Norfolk, Va., where he delivered to the Naval authorities Charles Little, a Navy deserter.



•  Candidates for Congress from the Fifth District, D. E. Finley and W. F. Stevenson, addressed the voters of Fort Mill from the stand in Confederate Park.



Compiled by Chip Heemsoth, a lifelong resident of Fort Mill.

  Comments