▪ Dr. Max Culp, long time Fort Mill family physician and Fort Mill Town Councilman, announced his retirement.
▪ Three Fort Mill police officers and their wives were expecting babies. Chief Jeff Helms and Melissa, officer David Bivins and Cheryl, and officer Robbie Hill and Lisa were eagerly awaiting new arrivals.
▪ Three Fort Mill educators, Betty Boyd, Johnsie Lumpkin and Bernie Mangum, with a combined 82 years of experience, retired from the Fort Mill School District.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Herald
▪ Four Fort Mill High School seniors, Jenna Bates, Meredith Borel, Laurie Carr and Caren Chancy, shared valedictorian honors.
▪ Barbara Grant Steele, 1964 Fort Mill High School graduate, was honored at Northwestern High School in Rock Hill, by having the school’s annual, “Aeneid,” dedicated to her.
▪ Arthur Wellington (Art) Baker, head football coach at Furman University, was the guest speaker at Fort Mill High School’s All-Sports Banquet.
▪ Randy Smith was chosen as Jacket of the Year and Pam Stegall was Jackette of the Year at Fort Mill High School.
▪ The top four graduates at Fort Mill High were Marion Fowler, Christine Patterson, Jayne Pettus and Eddie Vaughn.
▪ Eugene Black was announced as the new principal at Riverview Elementary School succeeding George Hutto, who accepted a position at Monticello High School.
▪ Recent movies at the Center included “Battle Cry,” “A Man Called Peter,” “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea” and “West of Abilene” with Charles Starrett.
▪ J.L. Spratt, L.F. Mills and W. T. Martin announced their intention to apply for a charter to open a banking depository in Fort Mill.
▪ Cadet James Lee Spratt was awarded two medals for excellence at graduation exercises at Bailey Military Academy at Greenwood.
▪ A wind storm blew down a tree in front of the Thomson Hotel, blocking Faulkner Street and stripping the Indian monument in Confederate Park of its arms and arrows.
▪ By a 124-80 vote, the voters of Yorkville voted to change the name of the county seat to York
Compiled by Chip Heemsoth, a lifelong resident of Fort Mill.