Fort Mill Times

Do you Remember?

1996

▪ Carl Boyd and F. G. “Frosty” Witherspoon, both of Hill Street, Fort Mill, received 50-year membership certificates from Catawba Masonic Lodge, Fort Mill.

▪ Mr. and Mrs. Jim Watford of Fort Mill celebrated their 50th Wedding Anniversary at Riverview Presbyterian Church.

▪ Nicole Potts, Fort Mill High graduate, received a grant from the Arts and Science Council of North Carolina to attend the Summer Writer’s Festival in Iowa.

▪ Fort Mill High’s baseball record improved to 6-3 overall and 5-1 in Region 4AAA with a 2-1 victory over Ridgeview in a game played at Knights Castle.

1976

▪ George B. Rhinehardt III, proprietor of George’s Flower Shop, announced the relocation of his business from Confederate Street to 115 Springs St.

▪ Deborah Osborne, Fort Mill High School high-scoring senior, was named to the AA All-State basketball team.

▪ The Winthrop College student body selected the Eagle as the first ever official mascot for Winthrop College.

▪ Sgt. First Class William Joe Robinson retired from the Fort Mill National Guard unit with 24 years of service.

1956

▪ Four Fort Mill High School graduates, Jean Collins, Jane Epps, Ann Porter and June Thompson, were capped at the York County Hospital School of Nursing.

▪ Fort Mill’s city council rejected a proposal that the city get out of the garbage collection business.

1936

▪ Mayor Luther G. Patterson let it be known that any miscreant caught destroying shrubbery or flowers at Unity Cemetery would be severely dealt with.

▪ Ray Norris opened a restaurant on upper Main Street in a building formerly occupied by Hovis Clothing Store.

1916

▪ The management of the Majestic Theatre announced the purchase of costly six-part electric orchestration for the theater.

▪ The Barberville school closed for the term with appropriate exercises by the children and music by the Hinson Band.

  Comments