Major residential projects are nearing in Lake Wylie, while business plans are booming in Fort Mill. In all, several hundred acres on York County are in talks for new construction.
▪ The furthest along involves land in Fort Mill. Several applicants are looking to rezone seven properties at almost 25 acres at the southwest corner of U.S. 21 and Gold Hill Road from residential to commercial zoning.
The county planning commission recommended approval Aug. 8.
Sketch plans show four buildings at 30,000 square feet each at the center, separated by 216 parking spaces. Another 20,000 square foot building sits to the north, nearest the U.S. 21 and Gold Hill intersection. It has another 84 parking spaces. The property will have access from both main highways.
The site backs up to a residential area, but there won’t be road access and a 50-foot buffer will separate the two. Some homes on the property being rezoned will be removed with development. Three of seven land parcels are part of the Forest Lakes subdivision.
“The Gold Hill Road and Hwy. 21 corridor is under growth pressures and land use changes are happening quickly,” land owners state. “A rural residential lifestyle is not conducive to these properties due to their location at the intersection at two high volume roads.”
▪ Talks are underway for a new residential subdivision on a large chunk of Lake Wylie real estate owned by Crescent Communities. County planners met with developers July 7 on a single-family homes plan for S.C. 49 and Daimler Boulevard. The area is zoned as a planned development, although possible amendments may be needed for the project.
Two land parcels total 432 acres along Big Allison Creek, just as it widens into Lake Wylie. The combined market value, per county records, is $4.2 million.
▪ On July 21, county planners met with developers on an apartment complex plan in Lake Wylie. The site sits at S.C. 49 and Senator Road, just east of Mill Pond Road. County records show the property listed as The Preserve at Lake Wylie. The project includes two parcels at about 40 acres.
▪ Lake Wylie could soon get another car wash. Developers and county planners met July 28 to talk about 15 acres on S.C. 49, which includes The Vault Self Storage. A new car wash is proposed for the property just east of Spurrier Court on almost 4 acres with the storage facility and other businesses.
▪ County planners also met July 7 to discuss a parking lot addition at the QuikTrip site at Carowinds and Lakemont boulevards in Fort Mill.