After weeks of speculation, Chester school board votes to not rehire former superintendent
In a stunning move, the Chester County school board agreed Monday night that the district “will not go back and hire any former superintendent.”
The vote came in front of more than 150 parents on hand to urge trustees not to bring back former Superintendent Agnes Slayman, who resigned under pressure last year after several employees accused her of abusive and threatening behavior.
With four board members voting "yes," the panel approved a resolution proposed by board member Richard Hughes, who said that a report commissioned by the school board to look into Slayman’s conduct alleged that she had called him an “SOB” and had threatened to kill him.
The vote appears to put to rest rumors spread via social media that the school board was poised to rehire Slayman – speculation that intensified two weeks ago, when interim superintendent Keith Callicutt announced he was resigning effective Jan. 31.
Callicutt said he could not steer the district through its leadership crisis, citing problems among the school board, district staff and parents as being more than he could solve.
The packed room broke out into applause several times as speakers asked the board to move forward and quell rumors that the board was considering bringing Slayman back.
The residents rose in a standing ovation when the motion to formally state that the board would not rehire any former superintendent was approved.
Hughes, outgoing board chairwoman Denise Lawson, new board chairman Eugene Boyd and Laurens Fort voted to move forward with a search for a new name. Sandra Stroman, Maggie James and Patricia Hensley voted against it.
“There were good reasons for change and good reasons not to go back,” said concerned resident Shelly Price.
Slayman resigned in September, just hours after The Herald published a report detailing allegations that she had bullied employees and made threats against them. The school board opted to keep her on as a consultant, paying the remainder of her $150,000-per-year salary for two years.
“You would not allow this kind of bullying by a student,” former state Sen. Linda Short of Chester told the school board.
Short, who once served on the school board, urged trustees to once and for all tell the public that Slayman would not be considered for the top job.
A majority of the board agreed, then adjourned into executive session to talk about a replacement for Callicutt.
Andrew Dys: 803-329-4065
This story was originally published January 25, 2016 at 8:48 PM with the headline "After weeks of speculation, Chester school board votes to not rehire former superintendent."