North Carolina

A suspect is finally charged in Charlotte’s 2008 quadruple murder mystery

A man is facing murder charges with quadruple homicide over a decade old

A man is facing murder charges in connection with a 2008 case where 4 people were shot to death near Archdale and I-77.
Up Next
A man is facing murder charges in connection with a 2008 case where 4 people were shot to death near Archdale and I-77.

More than a decade after four people were found murdered at a crime-plagued southwest Charlotte apartment complex, police say they have arrested a suspect in the killings.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police announced Thursday morning that they have charged Dominick ONeill Daise, 32, with four counts of murder in the case. Mecklenburg County Jail records show he is also facing two charges of possession of marijuana.

He was arrested without incident, police said in a press release.

Daise is accused of shooting and killing three men and a woman on March 24, 2008, at the Tree Top apartments, near the intersection of Interstate 77 and Nations Ford Road.

The Charlotte Observer reported in 2008 that a man called police at 6 a.m. that day to report two people might be dead in one of the apartments. Instead, police said they found four victims in a third-floor apartment.

At the time, the 286-unit apartment community on High Meadow Lane was named one of Charlotte’s high crime “hot spots,” the Observer reported. Thirty percent of the units were empty at the time of the killing, the newspaper said.

It took days for police to identify the four victims as: Timothy Stone, 33; William Beaumonde Royster, 46; Andrew Babyak, 43; and Cherilyn Jane Crawford, 31.

Royster lived in apartment 720-W where the bodies were found, the Observer reported. Crawford and Babyak are believed to have lived in Tega Cay, south of Charlotte in York County, S.C., the Observer reported. Stone was from New York.

Police did not release details of what led them to arrest Daise after 11 years, other than to say he was identified as a suspect “as a result of continued investigation.”

Investigators say the case remains active and TV station WSOC reports police are ”confident that Daise did not act alone.”

Royster had been arrested a month before the killings on a charge of possessing a stolen rifle and drug paraphernalia, a bong, the Observer reported in 2008. The weapons charge was dropped and he later pleaded guilty to the drug charge and was released March 6 from Mecklenburg County jail.

Police did not disclose a motive for the shooting. The Observer’s news partner WBTV reports investigators believe the four “were involved in a lifestyle that put them in jeopardy.”

Investigators believed the killings occurred within an hour of someone calling 911, the station reported. However, no one in the area reported hearing the gunshots, WBTV said.

Mark Price has been a reporter for The Charlotte Observer since 1991, covering beats including schools, crime, immigration, the LGBTQ issues, homelessness and nonprofits. He graduated from the University of Memphis with majors in journalism and art history, and a minor in geology.
  Comments