Briggs charged with misdemeanor after leaving scene

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Chicago Bears linebacker Lance Briggs was charged with leaving the scene of an accident after crashing his Lamborghini and abandoning it alongside an expressway on the city's North Side, Illinois State Police said.

After meeting with police Monday afternoon, Briggs was also cited for failure to give immediate notice of an accident and improper lane usage, said Master Sgt. Luis Gutierrez.

Briggs was released after posting $100 bond and is scheduled to appear Oct. 4 in a Cook County court. Leaving the scene of a property damage accident is a Class A misdemeanor that carries a maximum 364 days in jail and a $1,000 fine, Gutierrez said.

No one was in the car with Briggs, and no other vehicles were involved, Gutierrez said.

• PRO BASKETBALL -- Newly signed free agent forward James Posey took his seat in between one of the Boston Celtics' owners and director of basketball operations Danny Ainge, and something that was very noticeable right away was the oversized NBA championship ring on his left hand.

"We've very happy Danny put this deal together and, obviously, from the weight on his hand he has championship experience," owner Steve Pagliuca said of the team's recent addition.

The Boston Celtics added another piece to what they hope is a championship-caliber team Monday, signing the 6-foot-8 free agent forward. Terms of the deal were not announced.

• TRACK AND FIELD -- The most successful coach so far at the world track and field championships is in jail.

Lance Brauman's star pupils, America's Tyson Gay and Jamaica's Veronica Campbell, both won gold medals in the 100 meters.

They've each pledged their loyalty to Brauman, who is nearing the end of a one-year prison sentence for embezzlement, theft and mail fraud. The charges stem from Brauman's manipulation of scholarships for his athletes at Barton County Community College in Kansas.

Brauman is scheduled to be released today, just as Gay starts his qualifying run in the 200 meters.

• WNBA -- In Indianapolis, Tamika Catchings had 30 points and 13 rebounds, and the Indiana Fever made the biggest comeback in WNBA playoff history to defeat the Connecticut Sun 93-88 in overtime and advance to the Eastern Conference finals.

The Fever overcame a 39-17, second-quarter deficit to win the series 2-1. The previous biggest deficit overcome was 21 points, by Minnesota in a 74-72 win on Aug. 28, 2003, against Los Angeles.

Katie Douglas led Connecticut with 27 points and Lindsay Whalen and Asjha Jones both added 21. The Sun won their first five games against the Fever this season, but lost the two that mattered most.

Tamika Whitmore scored 24 points, and Anna DeForge added 18 for the Fever.

Connecticut led 64-48 in the fourth quarter when the Fever went on an 11-0 run, highlighted by five points from Sheri Sam, to cut their deficit to 64-59 with 6:40 to go.

• BASEBALL -- A Hearst Corp. lawyer asked a federal judge to schedule oral arguments in the company's attempt to make public the names of baseball players implicated in obtaining steroids.

Hearst Corp. filed court papers in June to reveal a complete copy of a December 2005 sworn statement by IRS Special Agent Jeff Novitzky used to obtain a search warrant for the home of former New York Mets clubhouse attendant Kirk Radomski. The government said former players were supplied drugs by Radomski but the names of about two dozen players were blacked out when the search warrant was unsealed in April.

Hearst, on behalf of the San Francisco Chronicle and Albany Times Union, said that since Radomski had supplied the names to baseball steroids investigator George Mitchell as part of Radomski's plea agreement with the government, the names should be made public. The government and the Major League Baseball Players Association have opposed the application.