COLUMBIA -- Blake Mitchell will begin the season on the sidelines.
South Carolina's starting quarterback lost his appeal to have his one-game suspension lifted Sunday, according to USC spokesman Steve Fink. Fink confirmed he had spoken with USC Athletics Director Eric Hyman, who had heard Mitchell's appeal and upheld the suspension.
"I just got off the phone with him," Fink said. "He did uphold the suspension."
Coach Steve Spurrier announced earlier this week that Mitchell, tailback Bobby Wallace and defensive back Chris Hail were being suspended one game by the university for missing too many summer classes. Spurrier added he was 100 percent behind the policy and said if the Gamecocks had to lose Mitchell for a game, they'd live with it.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Herald
Mitchell appealed the suspension and hoped to have the same success as defensive end Jordin Lindsey, who was also on the suspended list but had it revoked. Hyman denied Mitchell's request.
Redshirt freshman Chris Smelley should make his first collegiate start Saturday when the Gamecocks host Louisiana-Lafayette. Spurrier said earlier this week that redshirt sophomore Tommy Beecher will also get a good number of snaps during the game.