Winthrop's men's soccer team has won the regular season and BSC tournament titles. Now they turn their attention to the NCAA tournament and a date with William and Mary. The Tribe plays in the rugged Colonial Athletic Conference. The match is set for 7 p.m. Friday. The winner gets to play No.1 Wake Forest.
The volleyball will play in the BSC tournament this weekend at the Justice Center in Asheville, N.C. The Eagles are the No. 5 seed and will play No. 4 UNC Asheville in the first round. Winthrop is 11-18 overall and finished 7-9 in conference play.
Men's basketball will play at No. 21 Davidson at 7 p.m. Friday night. It is a short trip to see the Eagles play on the road against Stephen Curry and a quality opponent.
• SOCCER STATS -- Daniel Revivo has become the school's all-time leader at the NCAA Division I level this year. With 37 points scored to date, he has 125 in his career. He moved ahead of Gareth Hayden (93), Saidi Isaac (98) and Vali Arnason (101). He also gained the top spot in goals scored. He has 14 this season and has netted 50 for his career.
• POLL WATCHING -- After a three-week absence, Winthrop moved back into the Top 10 of the NSCAA/adidas South Atlantic Region Poll at No. 9. William & Mary, Friday's opponent, is ranked fifth in the same poll. The Eagles moved up three spots in TopDrawerSoccer.com's Top 48 and stand at 45th.
• 3-WAY TIE -- The Big South Conference volleyball regular-season championship is shared this year by Liberty, High Point and Coastal Carolina. All finished 13-3 in the conference. Based on tiebreakers, Liberty was awarded the No.1 seed in the upcoming BSC tournament followed by the Panthers and the Chanticleers. This is the third time the conference has had a three-way tie at the top in volleyball but the first time in 15 years. Winthrop, Radford and Charleston Southern tied in 1988; Towson State, UNC Greensboro and Radford shared the title in 1993.
• VOLLEYBALL STATS -- Shannon Sitzmann heads into her final Big South Conference tournament needing eight kills to move into second place on the school's all-time kills list. Two former teammates are ahead of her. Tori Grafeman finished her career in 2006 with 1,678 kills. Mary Hock amassed 2,067 before graduating in 2005.
• DIG COUNT -- Janice Rivera's 491 digs this season is the fourth-highest total in school history. Only Pohai Nu'uhiwa (622 in 2007 & 586 in 2006) and Sarah Mae Billingsley (563 in 2004) have had more in a single season.
• HANKINS READY, RYSKA STILL QUESTIONABLE -- Women's basketball player Shelly Hankins resumed practice Tuesday after undergoing knee surgery. Coach Bud Childers said the 5-foot-9 guard/forward went through about 60 percent of practice and looked confident. She might get some minutes Saturday against Newberry.
Backup point guard Kathi Ryska tried to practice this week but only got in about five minutes. She is recovering from a concussion suffered Nov. 8 in a scrimmage at Winston-Salem State. Childers said Ryska continues to have headaches and some dizziness. Freshman Tiffany Brown played five minutes running the point in Saturday's season-opening loss to Davidson in place of Ryska.
• NO WORD ON SUSPENSIONS -- Mums the word. Childers and the Winthrop athletics department has not commented on details that led to the Nov. 11 suspensions handed down to three players: Shanice Cole, Franchesca Davenport and Jennifer Walker. Childers said that day the players would return "in a couple, three-weeks."
• TOP 25 COMPETITION -- Winthrop men's basketball will play at No. 21 Davidson at 7 p.m. Tuesday. The Eagles aren't the only Big South team playing a ranked opponent. Gardner-Webb plays at No. 12 Oklahoma at 2 p.m. Saturday.
• Men's soccer at William and Mary, first round of NCAA tournament, 7 p.m.
• Men's basketball at Davidson, 7 p.m.
• Volleyball vs. UNC Asheville, quarterfinals of BSC tournament at Asheville, 7:30 p.m.*
• Women's basketball vs. Newberry, 2 p.m.
• Volleyball vs. Gardner-Webb or Liberty, semifinals of BSC tournament at Asheville, 7 p.m.*
• Volleyball vs. TBA, finals of BSC tournament at Asheville, 2 p.m.*
* -- must win to advance to next round