Bond denied for suspect linked to Chester councilman’s slaying
A judge denied bond Monday for one of the men charged in connection with the shooting death of Chester City Councilman Odell Williams in November.
Quinton McClinton, 26, will remain in the Chester County Detention Center until his case goes to trial, Circuit Court Judge Brian Gibbons ruled. Gibbons said he understands that the state is working to prepare the case, but he said he would be “inclined to set bond” at a later date if the case has not been resolved.
McClinton, who is charged with accessory to murder before the fact, has been in jail without bond since his arrest.
“It’s not right for a defendant who is presumed innocent until proven guilty to just sit in a jail without a trial date,” he said.
Williams, 69, who had been a member of the City Council since 1997, also was a retired Chester police officer. He was gunned down Nov. 4.
Police and prosecutors say Williams was shot by one of five Roundtree Circle Gang members he was following as they were en route to rob a rival gang. The shooter is accused of laying in wait for Williams after getting out of the gang’s truck during the chase, then shooting Williams in the head with an assault rifle in a fusillade of 17 shots.
Investigators have said McClinton concocted the plot to rob the rival gang, helped arm fellow gang members, and was present when another gang member shot Williams.
Sixth Circuit Deputy Solicitor Julie Hall brought up McClinton’s “extensive” criminal history during the hearing Monday, calling him “a very big danger to the community.” She told the judge she hopes to try the case by January.
Defense attorney Mike Duncan noted that some of his client’s co-defendants have been released on bond or house arrest.
Several of Williams’ family members were in court Monday morning. Latisha Williams told the judge that McClinton was out on bond for a pending attempted murder charge when he was charged in connection with her father-in-law’s killing.
“How many times is he gonna get out on bond and continue to commit crimes?” she said. “This young man lives around the corner from my business. I was here before. He knows my face.”
Defense lawyers have alleged that Williams shot at the suspects as many as three times before Williams was shot in the head, according to a confession from another of the co-defendants.
Christopher Moore, 19, who police and prosecutors have identified as the shooter, remains jailed without bond. Derrick Dixon, 20, and 25-year-old Terrance Buchanan are free on bond.
DeAngelo Roseboro, 20, had been free on bond but was arrested in March for violating the curfew condition of his bond.
Check back later for more details.
Teddy Kulmala: 803-329-4082, @teddy_kulmala
This story was originally published October 19, 2015 at 1:26 PM with the headline "Bond denied for suspect linked to Chester councilman’s slaying."