Annual Southern Christmas Show in Charlotte the latest event to cancel over COVID
Another Charlotte area favorite annual event has been canceled because of the novel coronavirus pandemic.
This time it’s the Southern Christmas Show, which was scheduled for Nov. 12-22.
“The well-being and safety of all attendees and exhibitors are our first priority in creating a dynamic marketplace,” the event organizers said on their website Friday.
The holiday market has been a staple for more than 50 years, with over 400 vendors at the Park Expo and Conference Center. The event draws more than 100,000 visitors a year, the Observer has previously reported.
However, organizers are making plans to turn the holiday event into an online shopping experience via its vendors, an event Facebook post said Friday morning.
Several other annual events have been canceled because of the COVID-19 crisis, most recently Yiasou Greek Festival, where last officials with the three-day September event in Dilworth called off the festival.
Charlotte Pride parade and events, and the Renaissance Festival in Huntersville, also have been canceled this year over COVID-19 concerns.
Earlier this month, Gov. Roy Cooper extended Phase 2 of reopening the state keeping bars, gyms and event venues closed until at least Sept. 11. It also restricts large gatherings.
This story was originally published August 14, 2020 at 12:47 PM with the headline "Annual Southern Christmas Show in Charlotte the latest event to cancel over COVID."