▪ Back-to-School Explosion, sponsored by Lancaster County Prince Lodge, LAPS, Lancaster Police Department and community sponsors, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, Old Barr Street School, 610 E. Meeting St. Children of all ages can attend. There will be entertainment, food, speakers and games. Rain or shine. Bring a lawn chair. Children must be present to get school supplies.
▪ Anne Springs Close Greenway eclipse viewing event, 1 p.m. Monday at the Lake Haigler entrance off U.S. 21. The Greenway is partnering with Fort Mill-based company Britax to offer solar glasses to the first 750 participants. Open to the public. The Greenway plans to have a food truck on site. Admission is free for Greenway members and $5 for nonmembers. Parking is $5.
▪ Free community Bingo, 2 p.m. Friday at Glen Rock Baptist Church, 1815 N. Dobys Bridge Road, Fort Mill. Details: 803-517-2021.
▪ National Chess Master Leland Fuerstman will play a simultaneous chess exhibition against 10 opponents, 1:30-4 p.m. Saturday at HarborChase Assisted Living Community, 1611 Constitution Boulevard, Rock Hill. The event is free and open to the public. To play call 803-981-6855. Charlotte native Fuerstman, 70, is a retired real estate broker and current professional chess instructor.
▪ Free backpack fitting and screening, 5:30-7 p.m. Aug. 24, Carolina Chiropratice and Wellness, 8763 Charlotte Highway, Indian Land.
▪ Ivy Classic 2017 Golf Tournament, Sept. 23 Waterford Golf Club, Rock Hill. Captain’s choir with shotgun start at 8:30 a.m. Cost: $320, foursome; $85 individuals. Register by Sept. 1 at email@example.com. Women’s teams are encouraged to play. Tournament is sponsored by Alpha Kappa Sorority Eta Alpha Omega chapter and Pearls of Service Foundation.
▪ Clover Wesleyan Church will have a hot dog sale, 10 a.m. at the church at the South Main Street and Parkview Lane. To place orders, call 803-675-8032.
▪ Indian Land-based animal rescue Paws in the Panhandle is holding a 50 percent off all merchandise sale Thursday-Sunday at its thrift shop, Pawsitively Thrifty, 8715 Whippoorwill Drive at the corner of Possum Hollow Road. Shop hours are 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Thursday-Saturday and 1-4 p.m. Sunday. All proceeds benefit Paws In The Panhandle.
▪ Poor Man’s Supper and Auction to benefit Derek Ingram, 5 p.m. Saturday at McConnells Community Center, Church Street. Jeff Gilfillan will sing. Ingram is awaiting a liver transplant. Sponsored by Philadelphia United Methodist Church, York
▪ Arts Council of Chester County summer concert and dance, 7-10 p.m. Aug. 25 featuring Eddy’s Song at the Chester War Memorial Building, 154 Main St., Chester. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. The event features heavy hors d’oeuvres, cash bar and raffle. General seating is $25, members; $28, non-members in advance. Reserved tables for eight are $250. After Friday, all tickets will be $30. Tickets available at the Arts Council or Posh Peacock Salon. Cash or check only. Details: 803-581-2030.
▪ Allison Creek Bluegrass will host Cottonwood, 7 p.m. Thursday at Allison Creek Presbyterian Church on S.C. 274 in York. Free admission. Doors open at 6 p.m. with food service at 6:30 Details: AllisonCreekBluegrass.com.
▪ Western York County branch of the NAACP, 6 p.m. Thursday at Chamber of Commerce of York. Details: 803-684-6200.
▪ York County Quilt Guild, 6:30 p.m. Monday at Grace Lutheran Church, 426 Oakland Avenue, Rock Hill. Linda Hungerford will present domestic machine quilting and a trunk show with designs to inspire.
York County Library
These free programs are offered at York County libraries. For a complete schedule, go to yclibrary.org.
Saturday Movies at the Library, noon-3 p.m. Saturday main library, Rock Hill. Join us for a family movie rated PG-13. Bring your lunch if you’d like; light refreshments will be provided. Students under 17 must be accompanied by an adult who remains with them for the entire movie. No registration required.
Great American Solar Eclipse, 1:30-3:30 p.m. Monday. View the eclipse with the Museum of York County’s Personal Solar Telescope, Rock Hill. The PST will be set up along the Black Street side of the library during the event hours. Limited supply of safe viewing glasses can be shared among participants.
Coloring Club for Adults, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Tuesday main library, Rock Hill. Coloring sheets, colored pencils, and other coloring tools provided or bring your own. Bring a bag lunch. Light refreshments. Adults only. Call 803-981-5845 to register.
Researching Your Civil War Ancestor, 6-7:30 p.m., Tuesday main library, Rock Hill. Learn the methods and records for finding your Civil War ancestor. Get research tips and where to access the sources to understand your ancestor’s military service. For adults. Call 803-981-5847 to register.
▪ Newcomers Club of York County, 11:30 a.m. Sept. 13 at The Clebourne House, 138 Clebourne St., Fort Mill. A fashion show will be presented by Style Recycled: a Curated Eco-Fashion Boutique. Lunch: $15. Reservations: 508-397-2273 or email at YCNreservations@yahoo.com by 10 p.m. Sept. 7.
▪ Lake Wylie Shag Club’s Pre-SOS Super Hero Party, 7-11 p.m. Sept. 2 at the Fort Mill Moose Lodge, 1676 Harris Road. DJ is Gene Hensley. Admission: $3,members; $7, guests. Members bring a covered-dish or dessert to share.
▪ York County Choral Society auditions, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Aug. 24 and 5:30-6:45 p.m. Aug. 31 (also first rehearsal) at Westminster Presbyterian Church choir room, 1320 India Hook Road, Rock Hill. Prepare a solo or sing the National Anthem. Fall concert, Antonio Vivaldi’s “Gloria,” Dec. 3. Details: firstname.lastname@example.org or yorkcountychoralsociety.org.
▪ Agape Hospice volunteer training, 1-3 p.m. Wednesday, Lake Wylie Assisted Living Center, 4877 Charlotte Highway, Lake Wylie. Details: 803-517-2021.
▪ AARP Drivers Safety Program for ages 26 and older, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Friday at Cox Harley Davidson, 1178 Galleria Blvd., Rock Hill. Participants will get certificates that may reduce the insurance rate for collision and liability coverage for three years. Cost: $15, members; $20, for non-members. Registration is required. Details: 803-328- 5507.
▪ Showtime Theater Co. will offer fall classes beginning Sept. 11. Classes inlcude voice, acting, tap, musical theater, praise dance and theater dance. Details: email@example.com or 704-488-6703.
▪ The descendants of Charlie and Lizzie Hough 37th annual reunion, 1 p.m. Sunday at McConnells Community Center, 189 Church St. Bring a picnic lunch and drinks to share. Details: 803-324-4746.
▪ Chester High Class of 1975 reunion meeting, 4 p.m. Saturday at Front Porch Restaurant, Richburg. The trip to Savannah, Ga., is Sept. 7-10. Final trip payment is due Aug. 19. Details: 803-385-6985, 803-209-2523 or 803-984-0732.
▪ Descendants of Alexander McMullen Sr. and Alice Abernathy McMullen will have a family gathering, 3 p.m. Sept. 16 at Manchester Meadows, at 337 E. Mount Gallant Road, Rock Hill. Money due Aug. 30. Details: 803-524-8078.
▪ Lewisville High School classes of 1977-1980 second reunion, Sept. 15-16 at the Fort Lawn Community Center, 5554 Main St. The Class of ’77 will celebrate its 40th reunion. Events include a dinner and dance 5-11 p.m. Sept. 15, and memorial ceremony and cookout 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sept. 16. Cost is $40 for graduates, $20 for guests. T-shirts are $10 (include size). Make checks or money orders payable to Lewisville High Alumni 77-80 and mail to P.O. Box 453, Rock Hill, SC 29731. Registration deadline is Aug. 31. Details: LHSAlumni7780@gmail.com.
▪ Northwestern High School Class of 1977 40th reunion, Sept. 29-30. Details: firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ Al-Anon 8 p.m. Mondays, Serenity Club, 209 Grayson Road, Rock Hill; noon Tuesdays, Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church, 421 Oakland Ave., Rock Hill; 8 p.m. Mondays, Grace Presbyterian Church, 2955 S.C. 160, Fort Mill; 8 p.m. Tuesdays in the house beside First Baptist Church, 121 Monroe White St., Fort Mill. Serenity Seekers, 6 p.m. Mondays, The Journey Church, 5415 S.C. 557, Lake Wylie.
Send news and photos (JPEGs) to email@example.com or 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, SC 29730. Deadline for Thursday column is 5 p.m. Monday. Deadline for Sunday column is 5 p.m. Wednesday.