▪ Oakdale Baptist Church, Rock Hill, will host a live outdoor Manger Scene, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Thursday-Saturday in front of Academy Sports off Dave Lyle Boulevard. Scene repeats every 35 minutes. See the Christmas story of Jesus’ birth with narration and carolers. Free hot chocolate.
▪ Rock Hill Parks, Recreation and Tourism will host a holiday sale of artwork, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Friday from the recent TAP Into the Arts (Therapeutic Arts Programming) showcase. The sale in room 390 at City Hall includes include pottery, photography and watercolor paintings. Prices range from $2-15. All forms of payment are accepted. Details: Wendy.email@example.com.
▪ “Winter Wonderland,” winter- and holiday-themed craft activities offered at Main Street Children’s Museum will be 10 a.m.-noon Friday-Dec. 30 at the museum, 133 E. Main St., Rock Hill. Recommended for ages 1-6. Play clothes suggested. Free with museum admission. General admission: $6, children and adults and members and infants, free.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Herald
▪ Camp High Hopes, led by Coach Jerry and Dorothy Seale, will host a free holiday dinner and toy and grocery giveaway, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Dec. 21 at Clover AME Zion Church, 750 Kings Mountain Highway. Clover and Liberty Hill AME Zion and Nazareth and Boyd Hill Baptist churches are co-sponsors. Open to the community.
▪ VFW Post 3746 annual Christmas dance, 8 p.m.-1 a.m. Dec. 22 at the VFW Post, West Main Street, Rock Hill. Tickets: $15, single and $25, couples. Proceeds to the Crawford Road Post building fund.
▪ Community Blood Center of the Carolinas and Park Ridge Baptist Church will host a blood drive, 3-7 p.m. Dec. 28 at the church, 5099 Trotter Ridge Court, Rock Hill, in honor of 2-year-old Austin Blackwell of Rock Hill. Austin was diagnosed with liver cancer Nov. 14. He has received three blood transfusions and one unit of platelets at Levine Children’s Hospital and is currently receiving chemotherapy treatments once a week. Walk-ins are welcome, but appointments are encouraged. Call 803-366-3313 or visit ncdonor.com and enter sponsor code TeamAustin to make an appointment.
▪ Early-bird registration is open for the annual Joy of Gardening Symposium, Feb. 24, at the Gateway Conference Center in Richburg. Dr. Allan Armitage, professor of horticulture emeritus from the University of Georgia and noted author/speaker, will give the keynote address, “Naked Ladies and Forget-Me-Nots: Tales from the Garden.” Early registration, which includes lunch, is $55. After Dec. 31, the cost is $65. Details: symposium.yorkmg.org/registration. To pay by mail, make checks payable to, Master Gardeners of York County, and send to: 11079 Caroline Acres Road, Fort Mill, SC 29707.
▪ Lake Wylie Boat Parade: The 29th annual “Lights on the Lake” Holiday Boat Parade begins at 6:30 p.m. Saturday by the docks of T-Bones on the Lake. Organized by the Lake Wylie Chamber of Commerce. Line-up begins at 6 p.m. Entry fees are $20 before Thursday and $25 same-day. Details: 803-831-2827.
▪ Lowrys Parade: 1 p.m. Saturday at the Community Center, goes into Lowrys and ends at the Community Center. Line-up begins at 11 a.m. Entrants must have a farm theme, horse-drawn vehicle or tractor. No registration or entry fee. Details: lowryschristmasparade.com.
▪ Chestnut Grove AME Zion Church and several other churches will host ‘20 Tables of Sweets,’ 2 p.m. Saturday at Chestnut Grove fellowship hall, 1664 Stringfellow Road, Chester. Cost is $10 per tray. Proceeds will help less fortunate children at Christmas.
▪ York County Ballet presents “The Nutcracker,” 8 p.m. Thursday-Saturday and 3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at Winthrop University’s Johnson Hall Theater. This year, Anne Blackwell and Leslie Cooper have been collaborating to develop a fresh, new Nutcracker Ballet while preserving the old favorite. They have creatively put together an exciting re-creation of Tchaikovsky’s famous ballet. Tickets are $15 and available at yorkcountyballet.com. Online purchases will be held at the box office at Johnson Hall. Office opens one hour prior to showtime. Tickets also available at Woody’s Music, Cherry Road and Nationwide Wiley Insurance, Celanese Road through Friday.
▪ Rock Hill Community Theatre will reprise “Scrooge’s Christmas,” 7:30 p.m. Thursday-Saturday and 3 p.m. Sunday, 546 S. Cherry Road, suite N (behind ROC Emporium). In Ken Jones’ adaptation of Charles Dickens’ classic tale, “A Christmas Carol,” the actors portray all the characters in this Christmas tradition. Tickets: $15, adult, $12, students and seniors, and $2 discount for matinees. Tickets: rockhilltheatre.org or 803-326-7428. The theater also is a collection point for Toys for Happiness.
York County Library
▪ The York County Library in Rock Hill offers the following free programs in December. Register online at events.yclibrary.org.
Holiday Bingo, 4-5:30 p.m. Friday. Ages 11-17. Register online or call 803-981-5830.
A Good Yarn Stitching Club, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Monday. Bring a lunch or snacks. All ages and skill levels welcome.
Eat Your Way through the Holidays at the Library, 4-6 p.m., Monday. Patrons invited to share favorite recipes and bring a sample of your dish along with a copy of the recipe in case of food allergies.
Preschool Storytime, 10:30-11:30 a.m., Tuesday. Story time for ages 3-5 and their caregivers. Due to space limitations, day care centers and other large groups of children should call 803-981-5888 for a list of appropriate programs. No registration required.
Third Tuesday Book Club, 2-3:15 p.m. Tuesday. Title: “Shepherds Abiding: A Mitford Christmas” by Jan Karon
Mrs. Claus’ Holly Jolly Bedtime Family Storytime, 6-7 p.m. Tuesday. Put on your pajamas and snuggle up for an evening of holiday stories, songs, and crafts. Ages 11 and younger, accompanied by an adult. Register online or call 803-981-5888.
Lego Club, 5-6:15 p.m., Wednesday. Ages 5-11. Register online or call 803-981-5888.
Robotics Team meetings, 5-6:30 p.m. Dec. 21. Learn how to program robotics equipment to complete challenges. Ages 11-17. Register online or call 803-981-5830.
▪ Rock Hill branch of the NAACP general meeting is 9 a.m. Saturday at Bannon Hall, across from St. Mary’s Catholic Church, 902 Crawford Road.
▪ Western York County branch of the NAACP, 6 p.m. Dec. 21 at Wesley United Methodist Church. Details: 803-684-6200.
▪ Rock Hill Music Club, 4 p.m. Thursday at Oakland Baptist Church, 1067 Oakland Ave. Program by Rock Hill High School Chorus. Open to the public.
▪ Vintage Club of Tega Cay Christmas dinner and dance, 6 p.m. Dec. 20 at Glennon Center in Tega Cay. There will be a 50-50 raffle and birthday and anniversary prizes. Entertainment by Leslie and Friends.
▪ US Soccer Referee entry level training and certification, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Jan. 7 at the Hilton Garden in Rock Hill. Online preregistration is required at screferees.gameofficials.net. Referee candidates over 14 enroll in Course 22663, the Grade 8 class. Referee candidates between ages 11 and 13 enroll in Course 22664, the Grade 9 class. The cost is $80. Details: firstname.lastname@example.org or 803-230-0582.
▪ York Comprehensive High School basketball cheer clinic, 8:45 a.m.-noon Jan. 13 for ages K4-sixth grade. Cost: $25 through Dec. 22, and $30 after that date. Register at any school in the York district. Make checks payable to YCHS Cheer. Detail: 803-684-2336 or email@example.com.
▪ Rock Hill High Class of 1954, 1 p.m. Thursday at Golden Corral, Anderson Road. All members, relatives and friends invited.
Send news and photos (JPEGs) to firstname.lastname@example.org or 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, SC 29730. Deadline for Thursday column is 5 p.m. Monday. Deadline for Sunday column is 5 p.m. Wednesday.