▪ “Winter Wonderland,” winter- and holiday-themed craft activities offered at Main Street Children’s Museum will be 10 a.m.-noon Friday-Dec. 30 at the museum, 133 E. Main St., Rock Hill. Recommended for ages 1-6. Play clothes suggested. Free with museum admission. General admission: $6, children and adults and members and infants, free.
▪ Camp High Hopes, led by Coach Jerry and Dorothy Seale, will host a free holiday dinner and toy and grocery giveaway, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Thursday at Clover AME Zion Church, 750 Kings Mountain Highway. Clover and Liberty Hill AME Zion and Nazareth and Boyd Hill Baptist churches are co-sponsors. Open to the community.
▪ VFW Post 3746 annual Christmas dance, 8 p.m.-1 a.m. Friday at the VFW Post, West Main Street, Rock Hill. Tickets: $15, single and $25, couples. Proceeds to the Crawford Road Post building fund.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Herald
▪ Community Blood Center of the Carolinas and Park Ridge Baptist Church will host a blood drive, 3-7 p.m. Dec. 28 at the church, 5099 Trotter Ridge Court, Rock Hill, in honor of 2-year-old Austin Blackwell of Rock Hill. Austin was diagnosed with liver cancer Nov. 14. Walk-ins are welcome, but appointments are encouraged. Call 803-366-3313 or visit ncdonor.com and enter sponsor code TeamAustin to make an appointment.
▪ Early-bird registration is open for the annual Joy of Gardening Symposium, Feb. 24, at the Gateway Conference Center in Richburg. Allan Armitage, professor of horticulture emeritus from the University of Georgia and noted author/speaker, will give the keynote address, “Naked Ladies and Forget-Me-Nots: Tales from the Garden.” Early registration, which includes lunch, is $55. After Dec. 31, the cost is $65. Details: symposium.yorkmg.org/registration. To pay by mail, make checks payable to, Master Gardeners of York County, and send to: 11079 Caroline Acres Road, Fort Mill, SC 29707.
▪ The sixth annual Joe Davis 5K and 10K Run for Recovery, 8 a.m. Jan. 6 at Walter Elisha Park, Fort Mill. Davis died from an accidental drug overdose and his family started the annual race. Register at joedavisrun.com. To be a sponsor, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Proceeds to Keystone Substance Abuse Services.
York County Library
▪ The York County Library in Rock Hill offers the following free programs in December. Register online at events.yclibrary.org.
A Good Yarn Stitching Club, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Monday. Bring a lunch or snacks. All ages and skill levels welcome.
Eat Your Way through the Holidays at the Library, 4-6 p.m., Monday. Patrons invited to share favorite recipes and bring a sample of your dish along with a copy of the recipe in case of food allergies.
Preschool Storytime, 10:30-11:30 a.m., Tuesday. Story time for ages 3-5 and their caregivers. Due to space limitations, day care centers and other large groups of children should call 803-981-5888 for a list of appropriate programs. No registration required.
Third Tuesday Book Club, 2-3:15 p.m. Tuesday. Title: “Shepherds Abiding: A Mitford Christmas” by Jan Karon
Mrs. Claus’ Holly Jolly Bedtime Family Storytime, 6-7 p.m. Tuesday. Put on your pajamas and snuggle up for an evening of holiday stories, songs, and crafts. Ages 11 and younger, accompanied by an adult. Register online or call 803-981-5888.
Lego Club, 5-6:15 p.m., Wednesday. Ages 5-11. Register online or call 803-981-5888.
Robotics Team meetings, 5-6:30 p.m. Thursday. Learn how to program robotics equipment to complete challenges. Ages 11-17. Register online or call 803-981-5830.
▪ Providence Care, a geriatric wellness system that offers pallitive and hospice care, that serves York, Chester and Lancaster is in need of volunteers for companionship, pet therapy, office work, light housekeeping and other services. Detail: Danielle Howard at 803-818-6955 or Dhoward@Providencecanhelp.com.
▪ Western York County branch of the NAACP, 6 p.m. Thursday at Wesley United Methodist Church. Details: 803-684-6200.
▪ Vintage Club of Tega Cay Christmas dinner and dance, 6 p.m. Wednesday at Glennon Center in Tega Cay. Entertainment by Leslie and Friends.
▪ US Soccer Referee entry level training and certification, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Jan. 7 at the Hilton Garden in Rock Hill. Online preregistration is required at screferees.gameofficials.net. Referee candidates over 14 enroll in Course 22663, the Grade 8 class. Referee candidates between ages 11 and 13 enroll in Course 22664, the Grade 9 class. The cost is $80. Details: email@example.com or 803-230-0582.
▪ York Comprehensive High School basketball cheer clinic, 8:45 a.m.-noon Jan. 13 for ages K4-sixth grade. Cost: $25 through Friday, and $30 after that date. Register at any school in the York district. Make checks payable to YCHS Cheer. Detail: 803-684-2336 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
York Child Find
▪ The York School District is looking for children with disabilities who need services and who are not currently enrolled in a York public school program. The district provides programs for children ages 3-21 with the following disabilities: preschool children with disabilities, mental disabilities, specific learning disability, emotional disability, speech or language impairment, hearing impairment, autism, orthopedic impairment, other health impairment, vision impairment, traumatic brain injury, and children with multiple disabilities. Screening clinics will be conducted throughout the year at the Education Service Center, 18 Spruce St. Schedule appointments at 803-684-1905, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. weekdays.
The following classes will be offered at Fewell Park Recreation Center. Register, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays at the center, 1204 Alexander Road or at cityofrockhill.com/PRT. Pre-registration is required. Details: 803-329-5645.
Beginner Watercolor, 10 a.m.-noon Mondays, Jan 22-Feb. 26. Instructor: Herb Dumaresq. Cost: $54
Advanced/ Intermediate Watercolor, 10 a.m.-noon Tuesdays, Jan 16-Feb. 20. Instructor: Herb Dumaresq. Cost: $54
Knitting, 10:30 a.m.-noon Wednesdays, Jan. 3-Feb. 21. Instructor: Lisa Galloway. Cost: $54.
Acrylics for Everyone, 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Thursdays, Jan. 11-Feb. 15. Instructor: Brad Sabelli. Cost: $54.
Portrait Drawing, 10 a.m.-noon Fridays, Jan. 12-Feb. 16. Instructor: Brad Sabelli. Cost: $54.
Yoga, 10-11 Mondays with Whitney Carter. On-going class; pre-registration not required. Cost: $15 per class.
Send news and photos (JPEGs) to email@example.com or 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, SC 29730. Deadline for Thursday column is 5 p.m. Monday. Deadline for Sunday column is 5 p.m. Wednesday.