▪ The 18th annual observation of National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day is Wednesday. To commemorate this day, Affinity Health Center will provide HIV testing for the public 8:30 a.m.-6 p.m. at the center, 500 Lakeshore Parkway, Rock Hill. The first 20 people to be tested will receive a gift card. Free HIV, HEP C, Chlamydia and Gonorrhea testing also is available 8:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Thursday. No appointments necessary. Details: affinityhealthcenter.org or 803-909-9710.
▪ Bethel United Methodist Church Soup Kitchen, 11:30 a.m. Thursday at the church on Curtis Avenue, Rock Hill. Open to the community. Donations accepted. The kitchen is open Thursdays through March.
▪ VFW Post 3746 will host a pre-Valentine’s Day dance, 8 p.m.-1 a.m. Friday at the VFW Post on West Main Street, Rock Hill. Tickets: $15, singles; $25, couples. Proceeds go to build a new VFW post on Crawford Road.
▪ Camp High Hopes and Boyd Hill Baptist Brotherhood Ministry, Valentine Community Dance, 5:30-8 p.m. Saturday at Boyd Hill Richard E. Sandifer Life Center, 310 Glenn St., Rock Hill. Free to students. Free food and prizes. Wear red. Nazareth and Union Baptist churches are co-sponsors.
▪ Two piano faculty members will present a duo concert at 4 p.m. Feb. 11 at Winthrop’s Frances May Barnes Recital Hall in Rock Hill. Will Fried, an artist associate at Davidson, and Tomoko Deguchi, an associate professor at Winthrop, will perform along with Adam Snow, instructor at Winthrop. Free and open to the public. The performance will feature Stravinsky’s iconic Rite of Spring arranged for two pianos, as well as music by John Adams and Ron Keith Parks, a Charlotte-area composer and Winthrop professor. Details: firstname.lastname@example.org or 803/323-2602.
▪ Community Bingo, 2 p.m. Feb. 13, Sharon United Methodist Church, 3001 Shannon St., Sharon. RSVP: 803-517-2021.
▪ Tickets are available to the annual Daddy/Daughter Dance, sponsored by The Rock Hill Parks, Recreation, & Tourism Department. “Spring Soiree” is 7-9 p.m. March 2 at Events at Manchester on Dave Lyle Boulevard in Rock Hill. The dance is for girls ages 4-12 and their dad or other adult. Light refreshments served. A drawing will be held to choose the Couple of the Evening. Tickets must be purchased in advance. The attire will be dressy/casual. Cost: $30 per couple with $5 for each additional girl. Tickets are available at Boyd Hill, Emmett Scott, Fewell Park and Northside recreation centers and at PRT office at City Hall (room 390). Details: 803-329-5620 or 803-329-5633 or cityofrockhill.com/prt.
▪ Newcomers Club of York County’s monthly meeting and “Bingo Fundraiser,” 11:30 a.m. Feb. 14 at Palmetto Room, 150 E. White St., Rock Hill. Five & Dine will provide lunch. Cost is $16. The fundraiser will open to the public at 12:45 pm, $10 at the door. Five bingo games start at 1:15 p.m. Packs of five cards are $10 each and members can play as many packs as they like. Individual cards are $3 each. Cover all prize is a $100 Pump House gift certificate and wine. Proceeds benefit year-end charities. Reservations required. Call 508-397-2273 or YCNreservations@yahoo.com.
▪ Rock Hill Civitan Club, 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Mary’s Cafe, 1349 Firetower Road. Meeting at 7 p.m. Designated as “Clergy Night,” area ministers will be honored and the Aldersgate United Methodist Church Quartet will perform. Details: email@example.com.
▪ Rock Hill Music Club, 4 p.m. Thursday at First Presbyterian Church, 234 E. Main St. “A Festival of Hymns” will be presented by Dr. Don Rogers. Free and open to the public. Donations accepted for music scholarships.
▪ Western York County branch of the NAACP youth council, 9 a.m. Saturday and the regular meeting 6 p.m. Feb. 15, both at the Greater York Chamber of Commerce.
▪ Live from Nashville Country Legends presents music from the pioneers of country music, 8 p.m. Thursday at Clover High School Auditorium as part of Performing Arts Series. Twelve musicians, singers and dancers chronicle 75 years of Nashville legends. Tickets: $15; available at 803-222-8018 or clover.k12.sc.us/csda.
▪ Rock Hill Community Theatre presents Ken Ludwig's comedy “Lend Me a Tenor,” Feb. 9-11 and Feb. 15-18. World-famous Italian tenor Tito Morelli is set to perform the starring role in the Cleveland Grand Opera Company's gala season opener. When opera's assistant general manager, finds Tito indisposed, he and his manager find a way to save the big night. Show times are 7:30 p.m. Feb. 9 and 10 and Feb. 15-17 and 3 p.m. Feb. 11 and 18 at Rock Hill Community Theatre, 546 S. Cherry Road, behind ROC Emporium. Tickets: $15, adults; $12, students and seniors; $2 discount for matinees. For tickets: rockhilltheatre.org or 803-326-7428. Contains PG-level profanity and risque behavior.
▪ Fort Mill Community Playhouse presents “Love Letters,” 7:30 p.m. Saturday starring Polly Adkins and Mike Collins. The single performance is a capital campaign fundraiser. Dessert and champagne served at intermission. Tickets: $25. Reservations required: fortmillplayhouse.com or 803-548-8102.
▪ AARP Drivers Safety Program for ages 26 and older, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Friday at Cox Harley Davidson, 1178 Galleria Boulevard, Rock Hill. Participants get a certificate at the end of the class that may reduce the insurance rate for collision and liability coverage for three years. Cost: $15, AARP members and $20 non members. Make checks payable to AARP. Registration is required. Details: 803-328-5507.
▪ Lancaster Genealogy Club offers how to use the internet for genealogical research, 1 p.m. Saturday at Native American Studies Center conference room, Main Street. Free and open to the public. Attendees may bring family trees or research information. Details: 803-273-9909.
▪ Chester County Arts Council adult BYOB acrylic art class, 5:30-7:30 p.m. Feb. 13 with artist Penelope Winslow at the arts council, 123 Main St. Create a Valentine-themed painting. All supplies included. Registration: $35, members; $38, non members; deadline, Thursday. Register at 803-581-2030 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
York County Library
▪ The York County Library in Rock Hill offers the following free programs:
Black History Trivia through Feb. 28. Pick up trivia questions and return the completed for a chance to win a $25 gift card to Olive Garden.
Social Media Mondays – Facebook 101, 10 a.m.-noon Feb. 5. Learn how to set up an account and manage basic privacy settings. Experience with Windows and the Internet required. Register online or call 803-981-5845.
The Good Yarn Stitching Group, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Feb. 5 to work on stitching projects together with like-minded folks. All skill levels welcome. No registration required.
Trivia Café, 5-6:30 p.m. Feb. 5. Enjoy refreshments and test your knowledge. Ages 11-17. Limit 30. Register online or call 803-981-5830.
V Is for Valentine’s Family Storytime, 6-7 p.m. Tuesday stories of kindness, silly songs and crafts filled with love. Ages 11 and younger, with adult. Register online or call 981-5888.
Exercise for Seniors, 11 a.m.-noon Wednesday. Activities will include stretching and line dancing. Register by calling 803-981-5845 or email Elizabeth.email@example.com.
Chocolate 101, 1-3 p.m. Wednesday. Learn some simple ways to say “I love you” with chocolate. Registration required at events.yclibrary.org or call 803-981-5845.
Genealogy Class: Obituaries and Newspapers, 6:30-7:30 p.m. Wednesday, learn how to locate obituaries and articles about your family in newspapers on microfilm and online. Register online or call 803-981-5845. Adults and Teens.
Teen Advisory Board Meetings, 4:30-6 p.m. Thursday to help select materials for the Young Adult Collection and plan events. Volunteer time is given for participation. Ages 11-17. No registration required.
Genealogy Group, 1-2:30 p.m. Friday. This group meets once a month to discuss our research, techniques, new sources and help each other learn more about family history. All skill levels welcome. No registration necessary.
▪ Second Harvest Partners, sponsored by Providence Presbytery, hunger relief site, 9 a.m. Thursday at Green Pond United Methodist Church, 983 Bethel St., Clover. Volunteers will distribute food to participants who meet USDA eligibility income guidelines. Details: Catawba Area Agency on Aging at 803-329-9670.
▪ Emmett Scott High School Class of 1967 February birthday celebration, 5:30 p.m. Monday at O’Charley’s, Rock Hill.
▪ Adult Enrichment Center of Rock Hill caregiver support group, 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, 359 Park Ave. Details: 803-327-7448.
Send news and photos (JPEGs) to firstname.lastname@example.org or 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, SC 29730.