This week it could get loud at what would have been the Panthers’ site in Rock Hill
There will be activity -- and it could get loud -- Tuesday on what would have been the Carolina Panthers headquarters development in Rock Hill.
The York County Office of Emergency Management tweeted Monday that city crews will be blasting at the 280 Mount Gallant Road site. Scheduled blast times are about 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. Another may follow if it can happen before dark. Otherwise it will be Wednesday at about 9 a.m.
The tweet urges caution in the area.
The NFL team from Charlotte announced plans in 2020 to build its headquarters and practice facility in Rock Hill as part of what was an anticipated $2 billion boon to the area. The Panthers bought more than 200 acres just off Interstate 77.
The project included a new interchange — it’s still under construction — for what was envisioned as a major tourist and business attraction.
Groundbreaking on the team facility followed in mid-2020. The team aimed for a 2023 completion. In 2021, funding concerns led the team to halt the project and eventually terminate its contracts with the city.
As part of bankruptcy proceedings by the company set up to manage the Rock Hill project for the team, the city took ownership of the headquarters site. Earlier this year demolition of the structure began.
City communications manager Katie Quinn said the underground blasting Tuesday is part of foundation removal from one of the former buildings on the site.
“Those in the immediate vicinity may hear what sounds like a gunshot followed by a rumble,” Quinn said. “As a precaution, blasting mats will be laid on the ground above the blast area.”
This story was originally published July 24, 2023 at 3:26 PM.