Business

Wells Fargo exec ordered to pay $10M in fraud scandal instead will pay nothing

A settlement was reached with federal regulators and a former Wells Fargo executive, who had been ordered to pay $10 million for her role in the bank’s sprawling fake sales accounts scandal. Now, she won’t have to pay anything.

Claudia Russ Anderson, the bank’s former community bank group risk officer, was ordered to pay $10 million in civil penalties imposed by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in January, in the waning days of the Biden administration.

At the time, the Comptroller also imposed fines on David Julian, Wells Fargo’s former chief auditor, for $7 million; and Paul McLinko, former executive audit director, for $1.5 million. The trio was based in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, according to the OCC.

The penalties were tied to Wells Fargo’s fake sales accounts scandal, where thousands of bank employees opened millions of unauthorized and fraudulent accounts, along with other financial products, from 2002 to 2016 to meet excessive sales goals.

Russ Anderson, Julian and McLinko knew that the sales practice misconduct was widespread and systemic, according to former Acting Comptroller of the Currency Michael Hsu.

The trio were among 11 former Wells Fargo senior executives charged by the comptroller’s office. The other eight executives settled for over $43 million in civil penalties, including former CEO John Stumpf, who was ordered to pay $17.5 million.

In April, the comptroller office settled with Julian and McLinko for $100,000 and $50,000, respectively. That’s a decrease of more than $8.3 million.

Earlier this month, the comptroller settled with Russ Anderson for no money — it’s final case against one-time executives caught up in the scandal.

A former Wells Fargo executive, who was ordered to pay $10 million for her role in the bank’s fake sales accounts scandal reached a settlement in October. She’ll pay nothing.
A former Wells Fargo executive, who was ordered to pay $10 million for her role in the bank’s fake sales accounts scandal reached a settlement in October. She’ll pay nothing. Matt Kelley Special to The Charlotte Observer

In a statement to The Charlotte Observer Thursday, a comptroller spokesperson said the settlement “marks the culmination” of the office’s action to hold the “Wells Fargo executives accountable for their roles in the bank’s sales practices misconduct.

“In total, the (comptroller’s office’s) significant actions have resulted in the collection of more than $43 million in civil money penalties and included orders of prohibition against Wells Fargo’s former Chairman & CEO John Stumpf and former Head of the Community Bank Carrie Tolstedt,” the spokesperson said.

The spokesperson did not address a question about why the OCC wiped away the $10 million that Russ Anderson was to pay.

Wells Fargo declined on Thursday to comment on the settlement.

The bank is based in San Francisco and has its largest employment hub in Charlotte, with about 27,000 workers.

Fake sales accounts, other Wells Fargo scandals

From 2013 to 2016, the comptroller’s office said that Russ Anderson failed to provide information or provided false, incomplete or misleading information during compliance examinations in 2015.

Russ Anderson also failed to challenge the bank’s incentive compensation program, failed to institute effective controls and repeatedly downplayed sales practices misconduct, Hsu previously said.

Because of her actions, Russ Anderson was initially ordered to pay $5 million and that later increased to $10 million. She was also barred from banking, which also was rescinded in the October settlement.

Since the sales account scandal, regulators identified additional problems with how Wells Fargo handled mortgages, auto loans and consumer deposit accounts.

This story was originally published October 23, 2025 at 12:03 PM with the headline "Wells Fargo exec ordered to pay $10M in fraud scandal instead will pay nothing."

Desiree Mathurin
The Charlotte Observer
Desiree Mathurin covers growth and development for The Charlotte Observer. The native New Yorker returned to the East Coast after covering neighborhood news in Denver at Denverite and Colorado Public Radio. She’s also reported on high school sports at Newsday and southern-regional news for AP. Desiree is exploring Charlotte and the Carolinas, and is looking forward to taking readers along for the ride. Send tips and coffee shop recommendations.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER