How will York, Chester cops enforce SC ban of groups of 3+ for COVID-19? It depends
Police agencies in York and Chester counties said officers will follow the South Carolina governor’s coronavirus state of emergency order that discourages groups of more than three people gathering outside of commerce or work.
But those same agencies have made it clear police will use discretion and common sense before arrests are made.
The law under a state of emergency makes it a misdemeanor for people to gather outside of what is legal under the state of emergency, officials said. But the law also allows law enforcement to use discretion in making charges.
Rock Hill Police Department Lt. Michael Chavis said the department has told all officers the law will be followed.
“We will enforce the law as it stands,” Chavis said. “If we get calls about groups and gatherings that are outside the law in this emergency we will investigate. We will make charges where it is warranted.”
However, officers have been instructed to use common sense as they do in regular duties, Chavis said. Officers will try to give warnings where warranted, but repeat offenses and other situations where the law might be flaunted during the Covid-19 outbreak are different, Chavis said.
York County Sheriff Kevin Tolson said exceptions to the law include gatherings in homes, shopping for groceries or supplies, gas stations, day care centers, construction sites, and blood drives. But hangouts in parking lots of stores, parks or other places are not legal, Tolson said.
Tolson urged the public to use good judgement. Deputies will protect both public safety and personal freedoms, but will not tolerate breaches that are brazen measures to defy the public health crisis, Tolson said.
Tolson said personal freedom is vital, but so is public safety and health.
“While still fulfilling our obligation of keeping the public safe, I have instructed our deputies to err on the side of liberty, rather than control,” Tolson said. “We just hope our citizens will heed the public health warnings from the Governor to not gather, so our deputies can focus on other areas of more concern.”
Chester County Sheriff Max Dorsey also instructed his deputies to follow the law but use common sense.
“Now more than ever, it is our responsibility to maintain peace during these uncertain times,” Dorsey told his deputies in a statement released to The Herald. “However, maintaining peace does not always require an arrest. I encourage you to continue to use good common sense when patrolling the county, and in an effort to reduce your exposure and the exposure of our other employees and inmates, you must use discretion. It is important for everyone to remain a visible presence in the community in order to deter crime and respond to emergency calls.”
None of the agencies reported any arrests for violations of the law on Tuesday.
The law first surfaced last week when a raceway in Lancaster was considering a race Saturday before the executive order was issued on Tuesday. The race was canceled. S.C. Attorney General’s Office officials told The Herald law enforcement has discretion in making any arrests under the law.
Lancaster County Sheriff’s Office officials could not be reached Tuesday for their agency’s position on the executive order banning most groups of more than three persons.