Some stores in York, Lancaster, Chester counties let in only 10 customers at a time
Concerns over public health and efforts at social distancing are now affecting local convenience stores.
Some stores have changed hours, put in quantity limits and are limiting customers in the store — and they’re doing so based on governmental guidance, not requirements.
All six York County and Lancaster County corporate 7-11 stores have instituted a policy of allowing only 10 or fewer customers inside at any one time, said Eric Jockers, field consultant for 7-11. The stores are restricting purchases of essential items such as personal hygiene materials so as many customers as possible can get what they need, Jockers said.
7-11 stores also have signs up advising customers to keep a 6-foot social distance and suggesting the safest way to interact with employees at the cash registers.
“We are doing our civic duty by restricting the number of people in the store at any time to 10 or less because health guidelines are advising it,” Jockers said. “As for purchases of items, we want to help as many customers as possible be able to get what they need for their families. We want to be there for everyone, not just a handful of people.”
All QuikTrip stores across the Carolinas — including the 18 that are within a 20-mile radius from one of its Rock Hill locations — will only be allowing 10 people into its stores at a time by Wednesday afternoon, said Nick Kooyman, the personnel manager for QuikTrip in the Carolinas.
“At some point this afternoon, stores will have signage up which will limit the amount of customers to 10,” Kooyman told The Herald. “The signage has to get sent to all the stores, and the stores have to have time to print it out and put it up on all the doors.”
Kooyman said the stores will not close. He also said the store made this decision both on its own initiative and to follow the Centers for Disease Control’s recommendations.
In a federal memo issued last week, Homeland Security’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security office outlined the types of businesses considered essential to “ensuring continuity of functions critical to public health and safety, as well as economic and national security” during the pandemic.
Convenience stores were on the list.
Both the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control and the CDC have issued guidance for businesses to follow in response to the virus. The guidance, which the CDC updates regularly, encourages businesses to establish policies for social distancing and suggests businesses be prepared to temporarily suspend some operations.
The Peach Stand in Fort Mill
The Peach Stand in Fort Mill, at the corner of U.S. 21 and S.C. 160, has limited customers inside the store to 10 at a time, while cutting hours to 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., according to signs on the door and its Facebook page.
The posting said:
“Peach Stand Family,
“In light of what we have been experiencing with the national outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19), we have decided to make some big store changes in order to protect our staff and our customers effective IMMEDIATELY.
“Our store hours will change from 10:00 am - 7:00 pm starting today, March 21, 2020. Additionally, we will be limiting the number of people in the store to TEN at a time to ensure that our customers can practice effective physical distancing while shopping. We are asking that you come to our store alone (without significant others or children, if you can help it) in order to help allow the maximum number of actual shoppers in our store at a time.
“We know these limitations will not be ideal, but we are feel as though we must do our part to provide fresh and essential products to you and your family while still flattening the curve. We ask that you approach our management, staff members, and doors with understanding and kindness as we do our best to serve our community. Stay home when you can and stay safe, y’all!
“Thank you for understanding.”
Sherri McMurray, manager of The Peach Stand, said the store made the decision to limit the number of people in the store and cut hours for safety and efficiency reasons.
“For the past week or more, it was like the day before Thanksgiving in here we were so busy,” McMurray said. “There were times we may have had 100 customers in here at a time. We had to give staff time to restock, especially fresh meat in our butcher shop.”
Keeping 10 or fewer customers in the store at any given time allows social distancing for customers and employees, McMurray said.
“We believe this is a safe way to serve our customers and keep both them and our employees safe,” McMurray said. “We have not had a single complaint. Customers have been extremely cooperative and supportive. We thank our loyal customers for their patience and understanding.”
Other stores affected by COVID-19
Store workers at independent stores Mr. Express and a Little Giant in Rock Hill said they have not received any change in South Carolina requirements from state officials for limiting customers or purchases.
On its website, Circle K stores across the Carolinas said it is following the guidance “of the World Health Organization as well as federal and local health authorities.” There is no mention of limiting customers in the store at one time.
The website also said Circle K is offering free coffee, tea and “Polar Pop” to store members, first responders and healthcare workers.