Coronavirus

Lancaster Bojangles’ closed for cleaning after worker tests positive for coronavirus

The Bojangles’ restaurant in Lancaster is closed after an employee tested positive for the coronavirus, company and Lancaster County officials said.

Bojangles closed the store, at 1205 N. Main Street in Lancaster, on Friday when it learned of the positive COVID-19 test, said Brian Little, Bojangles’ spokesman. An outside company is doing the cleaning.

The employee last worked on April 22, and is self-isolating while recovering, Little said.

“When the company was made aware of the employee’s positive diagnosis on April 24, it immediately closed the restaurant for deep cleaning and sanitation and partnered with a third party for professional disinfecting,” Little said in a statement to The Herald.

Bojangles notified the S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control about the positive test, according to the company and Lancaster County officials. Lancaster County administration officials were immediately notified, said Darren Player, Lancaster County emergency management director.

As of Sunday morning, 85 people have tested positive for the virus in Lancaster County, DHEC and county officials said. Three Lancaster County residents have died after contracting COVID-19, according to DHEC.

The store had only been open for pickup orders since March after Gov. Henry McMaster closed all dining rooms under a state of emergency.

The Charlotte-based restaurant chain said the Lancaster store will reopen once all precautionary measures have been taken to ensure the well-being of employees and customers. All employees at the store will be paid while the restaurant is closed, Little said.

“The health and safety of our employees and guests are our top priorities, and we are thinking of our team member during their recovery,” Little said. “Our Safety and Quality Assurance teams have been preparing for weeks as we watched this health crisis evolve, so we were ready to take immediate action when this situation presented itself.”

This story was originally published April 26, 2020 at 12:06 PM.

Follow More of Our Reporting on Coronavirus in South Carolina

Andrew Dys
The Herald
Andrew Dys covers breaking news and public safety for The Herald, where he has been a reporter and columnist since 2000. He has won 51 South Carolina Press Association awards for his coverage of crime, race, justice, and people. He is author of the book “Slice of Dys” and his work is in the U.S. Library of Congress.
Cailyn Derickson
The Herald
Cailyn Derickson is a city government and politics reporter for The Herald, covering York, Chester and Lancaster counties. Cailyn graduated from The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. She has previously worked at The Pilot and The News and Observer.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER