Local

Rock Hill city worker hurt in trench collapse on College Avenue, officials say

A city worker in Rock Hill, South Carolina was injured earlier this week when a trench collapsed on him during work on College Avenue, officials said.

Rock Hill Fire Marshal Otis Driggers said the worker was hurt Monday in the incident where Rock Hill Fire Department crews and Piedmont Medical Center EMS responded.

The name of the injured man has not been released.

The incident happened around 11:20 a.m. in the 300 block of College Avenue where a Rock Hill crew as working on a stormwater project, said Katie Quinn, spokesperson for the City of Rock Hill.

Other employees were able to expose the man’s upper body in the trench and call 911, Quinn said.

The worker was conscious and stable when Rock Hill firefighters removed him from the trench, Quinn said.

He was transported by ambulance to PMC where he was treated and released, according to Quinn.

The incident remains under investigation by city officials.

The area where the incident happened remains closed, Quinn said.

This story was originally published April 1, 2020 at 2:22 PM.

Andrew Dys
The Herald
Andrew Dys covers breaking news and public safety for The Herald, where he has been a reporter and columnist since 2000. He has won 51 South Carolina Press Association awards for his coverage of crime, race, justice, and people. He is author of the book “Slice of Dys” and his work is in the U.S. Library of Congress.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER