Wrecks on South Carolina roads kill 7 this weekend
South Carolina Department of Public Safety officials said there were seven road deaths reported over the weekend.
Officials said six of the deaths occurred on U.S. routes, S.C. roads and secondary roads and another happened on a county road.
In four of the deaths, officials said a seat belt was not use. Pedestrians accounted for two of the deaths, and another was an unhelmeted motorcyclist.
As of Sunday, 424 people have died on state highways, compared to 423 highway deaths during the same time period in 2015. Of the 287 motor-vehicle occupants who have died in 2016, 239 were not wearing seat belts.
Fifty-two pedestrians have been killed compared to 49 during the same time period in 2015. Fifty-six motorcyclists have been killed compared to 59 this time in 2015. Ten bicyclists have died in 2016 compared to nine this time last year.
This story was originally published June 20, 2016 at 12:39 PM with the headline "Wrecks on South Carolina roads kill 7 this weekend."