Community

Charlotte eases coronavirus rules. What does it mean for residents in York, Lancaster?

Coronavirus-caused restrictions on some businesses were loosened in Charlotte Wednesday, and that affects thousands of York and Lancaster, S.C., residents who work, shop and worship in North Carolina.

Thousands of people who live in Rock Hill, Fort Mill, Indian Land, Lake Wylie and other areas commute to Charlotte for work, business, worship and shopping. York County has at least 54,000 residents who commute out of county for work, according to statistics from the York County Economic Development office.

Mecklenburg County now has defaulted to N.C. Gov. Roy Cooper’s executive order after it lifted its stricter stay-at-home order Wednesday.

More retail stores, car dealers, furniture stores, bookstores and other businesses are allowed to be open, The Charlotte Observer reported. Religious services and counseling services also are reopened in nearby Charlotte, along with funerals of less than 50 people, officials said.

Here’s what you need to know about the differing orders in North Carolina and South Carolina.

Comparing the two states of emergency rules

South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster renewed the state of emergency order Monday that will run another 15 days. The declaration allows McMaster to continue issuing executive orders in response to the pandemic, including his “Home or Work” order and ban on gatherings of more than three people, which have not yet been rescinded.

Last week, McMaster loosened restrictions on some businesses across the state. Under the new order, department stores can reopen, along with other retail businesses deemed “nonessential,” such as sporting goods stores, book, music and craft stores, shoe and clothing stores, jewelry stores, floral shops and luggage and leather goods stores.

Businesses still must follow previous mandates of five customers per 1,000 square feet in stores, or 20% of posted occupancy limits.

McMaster previously lifted restrictions on boat ramps and boat landings, and last week, he allowed local jurisdictions to decide whether to reopen public access to beaches and waterways.

“The people of South Carolina are complying very well with the orders that have come out and the recommendations that have been issued...so, in light of that and in light of the common sense being shown by the great people of South Carolina, we are ready to take some steps that will help South Carolina assure that our economic health is as strong as our public health,” McMaster said during a press conference last week.

With Mecklenburg County’s adoption of Cooper’s rules, the status of both states are similar.

North Carolina’s order gives flexibility to car dealerships, realtors, vape shops, bookstores and furniture stores, The Charlotte Observer reported. More retail stores in Charlotte can reopen with curbside pickup, and religious services are permitted, but gatherings are limited to 10 people, and funerals can have up to 50 people, according to the state’s order.

Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation lifted some restrictions Wednesday on park and greenway use, opened some boat ramps, along with tennis courts.

Cooper and McMaster have announced different frameworks that each state will follow to reopen and stimulate the economies.

York County Sheriff Kevin Tolson said law enforcement will continue to enforce state of emergency rules concerning the size of gatherings and stay at home rules, but said officers would err on the side of liberty in public areas.

Law enforcement with the sheriff’s office, and police departments in Rock Hill, Fort Mill, Tega Cay, Clover and York have issued warnings about gathering infractions but have made no arrests, officials said.

Potential impact on tourism

Billy Dunlap, CEO of the destination marketing organization Visit York County, told The Herald that steps to reopen the North Carolina economy will “naturally” be positive for York County residents.

“We’re starting to see a gradual reopening of the economy, and what that does is it creates traffic, which is good for us from a tourism perspective because just like when they open the beaches, that gets people traveling,” Dunlap said. “And with us being close to the interstate, that drives people to our hotel rooms.”

The minor steps are starting to yield results, Dunlap said.

“We’re starting to see our hotel occupancy inch up some,” Dunlap said. “Most of our clusters of hotels were in the 20 percent range, compared to the teens last week.”

This story was originally published April 30, 2020 at 3:51 PM.

Andrew Dys
The Herald
Andrew Dys covers breaking news and public safety for The Herald, where he has been a reporter and columnist since 2000. He has won 51 South Carolina Press Association awards for his coverage of crime, race, justice, and people. He is author of the book “Slice of Dys” and his work is in the U.S. Library of Congress.
Alex Zietlow
The Herald
Alex Zietlow writes about sports and the ways in which they intersect with life in York, Chester and Lancaster counties for The Herald, where he has been an editor and reporter since August 2019. Zietlow has won nine S.C. Press Association awards in his career, including First Place finishes in Feature Writing, Sports Enterprise Writing and Education Beat Reporting. He also received two Top-10 awards in the 2021 APSE writing contest and was nominated for the 2022 U.S. Basketball Writers Association’s Rising Star award for his coverage of the Winthrop men’s basketball team.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER