The Hinson Girls Bluegrass Gospel Concert will be at 7 p.m. Saturday in the sanctuary at Friendship United Methodist Church, Neely Store Road, Rock Hill.
The concert was originally scheduled as a outdoor event, but because of the hot weather is moving inside. Admission is free, but a love offering will be accepted.
A fish or chicken strip dinner by Twin Tops Fish Camp will be 4:30-6:30 p.m. in the fellowship hall. Plates are $8 for adults or $6 for children. Plates include fish or chicken strips, hush puppies, fries, slaw and beverage. A wide variety of baked goods will be available for sale.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Herald
▪ Rock Hill Ecumenical Chorale is sponsoring a Chinese auction Saturday at St. Martin de Porres Center, Carroll Park. Drop tickets at noon. Auction begins 1 p.m. Proceeds go to the annual Christmas concert.
▪ Covenant Presbyterian men of the church will host a barbecue 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday at the church at Mount Gallant and Celanese roads. Pounds, $10; plates, $8; sandwiches, $4.50. To place advance orders, call 803-366-8223.
▪ Taking the City Ministry will host a benefit program for Z’Kiya Knox, 3-5 p.m. Saturday in the main ballroom at Holiday Inn Galleria. Knox, a Rock Hill High School graduate with a full scholarship to Denmark Technical College, became ill and developed sepsis. To save her life, both legs and her right hand were amputated. Proceeds will help with medical expenses. For information, call 803-328-2263.
▪ Learn how to make a rain barrel First Friday in the Garden workshop, led by Clemson Extension Agent Paul Thompson, at 11 a.m. July 3 at the Glencairn Learning Center, 825 Edgemont Ave., Rock Hill. Free and open to the public.
▪ Indian Land VFW will meet 9:30 a.m. Saturday at 8083 Charlotte Highway, Indian Land. New members and guests arrive at 9 a.m. Veterans please bring your DD214 form. For information, contact John Marker at 704-843-6930 or email@example.com.
▪ The Rock Hill Branch of the NAACP will meet at 9 a.m. Saturday at Bannon Hall across from St. Mary Catholic Church, 902 Crawford Road. For information, call Sandra Oborokumo at 803-325-2855.
▪ The Yorkville Historical Society will meet at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at McCelvey Center. Chief Andy Robinson of the York Police Department will speak. Visitors welcome.
▪ The York County Board of Disabilities and Special Needs will meet 7 p.m. Thursday at the Administration Building, 7900 Park Place Road in the East York Industrial Park, off S.C. 5 in York. Open to the public.
▪ Union Baptist Church summer league basketball is taking registration for ages 9-12, 13-15 and 16-18 for games that begin July 6. All church teams or individuals are welcome. Cost is $65 per team or $10 individual. To register, call the church at 803-366-1556 or Mr. Carter at 803-207-0279 by Friday.
▪ Rock Hill Parks, Recreation and Tourism is offering a BMX Summer Skills Camp for ages 6-12 at the city’s BMX Supercross Track. These sessions are geared for novice to intermediate riders. The program runs July 30-July 2 (girls only session), July 14-16 and Aug. 11-13. Early drop off available at 8:30 a.m. Cost is $80 with bike and helmet rental included, or $60 for participants who bring a bike and helmet. For information and registration, go to novanthealthbmx.com or call 803-326-2441.
▪ Rock Hill Parks, Recreation and Tourism and the Rock Hill Youth Council are offering the “Scadventure Hunt,” a twist on the traditional scavenger hunt for teens, at 6 p.m. Sunday at the Old Town Amphitheater. Participants will work in pairs and follow clues around downtown Rock Hill, capturing images by digital camera or smartphone. The event will end with PW’s Ice Cream, the awarding of several prizes, dinner, dessert and a movie. A prize will also be given to the “best-dressed” pair. Cost is $10 per team of two and participants are asked to bring a digital camera or smartphone. For information go to cityofrockhill.com/prt or call 803-329-5625.
▪ Rock Hill Parks, Recreation and Tourism is offering an etiquette class for ages 6-10 from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Aug. 3 at Fewell Park Recreation Center. “The Rules of Nice,” taught by Karen Pounds, goes beyond learning how to shake hands. The class helps youth build communication skills, learn good manners and show respect for themselves and others. Lunch is provided. Cost is $34. Preregistration is required. For information or to register, go to cityofrockhill.com/prt or call 803-329-5645.
▪ South Carolina Legal Services will have a Pro Se Divorce Clinic at 10 a.m. Tuesday, room 201 at Rock Hill City Hall, 155 Johnston St. No one will be admitted after 10 a.m.
The clinic, conducted by an attorney, is for those who have been separated from their spouse for more than one year, who have no minor children, who have no property to divide and who are seeking a divorce on the grounds of one year continuous separation only. Participants must know where their spouse resides in order to attend the clinic.
The clinic will include forms and instructions to assist in the filing of a divorce action in Family Court in York County, serving their spouse with court papers, representing themselves at a final hearing and filing the correct final divorce documents, all without an attorney.
In order to qualify, the participant’s spouse must not be incarcerated and must live in York, Chester, Lancaster or Fairfield counties. The parties must have lived in county the last time they lived together. Also, the wife must not have given birth to any children during the marriage, either by the husband or anyone else.
Registration is required. To register or for information, call South Carolina Legal Services at 803-327-9001 or 800-922-3853.
▪ The York County Library in Rock Hill will offer the following free programs. For a complete schedule of all library programs, go to yclibrary.org.
Chess Club, 2-3:45 p.m. Thursdays, June 25, July 9 and July 23 for ages 11-17. No registration required.
Yo-Yo Mania, 3-4:30 p.m. Monday for ages 11-17. Share yo-yo skills and learn new tricks. Bring your own or use ones provided. Call 803-981-5830 to register.
Unmasking Teen Talent: Open Mic Night!, 6-7:30 p.m. July 6 for ages 11-17. Showcase your talent in a café-style atmosphere for a chance to win a prize. Family and friends are welcome. Refreshments will be provided. Call 803-981-5830 to register.
Super Reader Extravaganza, 10:30 a.m., 1:30 and 4 p.m. July 8 for ages 3-11. Chad Crews combines storytelling, comedy, music, magic and a few critters to encourage children to read.
▪ Piedmont Medical Center will offer a heart health risk assessment on Saturday at the hospital Resource Center in the Women’s Center, ground floor. Fasting is required. Free. To register, call 888-457-5211.
▪ The St. Anne Knights of Columbus Council 6756 will host a Community Blood Drive 3-7 p.m. Wednesday in the St. Anne Parish Center, 1694 Bird St., Rock Hill. Schedule appointments at cbcc.us or in the church gathering space or call Bob Alders at 803-366-5659.
▪ The nonprofit Friends of the York County Animal Shelter needs volunteers to help bathe, groom, exercise, socialize, train and provide adoption information for the animals, as well as assist in follow-ups, publicity, marketing and fulfilling other jobs at the shelter. Time and mileage may be tax-deductible. Volunteers must be 18 or older; orientation and training are required. For information, call 803-818-6485 or go to the shelter at 713 Justice Boulevard, York.
▪ The Chester High School class of 1975 40th class reunion will be Sept. 11-13 in North Charleston. A dinner cruise is planned for Sept. 12. Cost is $65 per person. RSVP by July 15 to Bertha Rhinehart Sims at 803-209-2523 or Diane Hooper Wilmore at 803-385-6985 or Theodore Wilder 803-374-1310 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for hotel information and an itinerary of events. On Facebook, the contact is Patricia Wilmore Hampton.
▪ The Rock Hill High School class of 1954 will meet at 1 p.m. Thursday at Golden Corral, Anderson Road. Members, friends and family welcome.
▪ The Brown/George family reunion will be 2 p.m. Saturday at the Catawba Indian Nation Longhouse. Descendants of the Brown or George families are encouraged to attend. Bring a dish to share, door prizes and games. For information, call Susan George at 803-980-7813.
▪ Former Hillcrest Elementary School students will meet 11 a.m. July 11 at Tabernacle AME Zion Church, 320 Old Friendship Road, Rock Hill.
▪ Northwestern High School class of 2005 reunion will be 5 p.m.-midnight July 25 at Ballentine Pavilion at Elks Park. Wear all white or ’20s attire. Reunion T-shirts will be distributed at 7 p.m. July 24 at Time Out Bar and Grill, 131 S. Herlong Ave. Tickets are $30, singles; $50, couples and include T-shirt, food and drinks. Register at payitsquare.com/collect-page/65525 by July 1.
▪ Alateen meets 8-9 p.m. Thursdays at Zoar Road Club, 14701 Thomas Road, Charlotte. Meetings are for two age groups: 6-12 and 13 and older. For information, call 803-547-2124 or 704-904-7834.
▪ Al-Anon meets at 8 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays at Serenity Club, 209 Grayson Road, Rock Hill; at noon Tuesdays upstairs at Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church, 421 Oakland Ave., Rock Hill; at 8 p.m. Mondays at Grace Presbyterian Church, 2955 S.C. 160, Fort Mill; and at 8 p.m. Tuesdays in the house beside First Baptist Church, 121 Monroe White St., Fort Mill.
Send Community News items to email@example.com or to 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, SC 29730. Deadline for the Thursday column is 5 p.m. Monday. Deadline for the Sunday column is 5 p.m. Wednesday.