Cheer for Children will kick off its “Season of Thankfulness” at Gratitude: A Game Changer, noon Saturday at South Pointe High School.
The event features games music, dance, impersonations and facepainting by Melissa.
Pastor C.T. Kirk, Chester Cheetah, Coach Squeaky, Demon coaches and Sylvia Circle Demons will perform.
Free and open to the public.
For information, call 803-366-6100 or go to cheer4children.net.
▪ The OWL Book Club returns at 3 p.m. Sunday at Main Street Children’s Museum, with Melinda Long, who will read her books, “How I Became a Pirate” and “Pirates Don’t Change Diapers.” A South Carolina resident, Melinda Long is a life-long writer. Featured books will be available for purchase and signing following the program. Along with the stories will be fun activities and crafts. The book club is free with general admission, $5, adults and children and free for Culture and Heritage Museum members and children age 1 and younger. For registration, call 803-327-6400.
▪ The Rock Hill High School Theatre Department will present “Graceland” by Ellen Byron at 7:30 p.m. Thursday and Friday at the school auditorium. Tickets: $7, adults; $5, students. Director is Stephanie Daniels.
▪ The Haven men’s shelter will be hosting a homeless awareness walk, 9:30-11:30 a.m. Saturday at Cherry Park. Meet at outdoor picnic shelter. There will be activities for children and adults. Donations accepted. For information, call Diane at 803-370-3315 or email email@example.com or go to thehavenmensshelter.org
▪ “Stories of the Stones,” Rose Hill Cemetery Tour, has been rescheduled for 1-4 p.m. Nov. 21 at the cemetery, 229 East Liberty St., York. Admission: $5. Children and students grades 1-12 free. Handicap assistance available if requested. Re-enactors dress in period costumes and tell the stories of the lives of residents who have shaped the community. Sponsored by the Yorkville Historical Society. For more information, call Jan Ramsey at 803-684-3844.
An evening of visual and performing arts hosted by the Therapeutic Arts Programming (TAP) Committee will be 6:30-8 p.m. Nov. 20, at the Community Performance Center, 249 E. Main St., Rock Hill. “TAP Into the Arts” will highlight art from area youth and adults with intellectual disabilities. Artists will display their works in watercolor, photography, pottery and other handmade items. Select items will be for sale. The Praise Dance Troupe will perform at 7 p.m. The free event is presented by Rock Hill Parks, Recreation and Tourism. For information, call Wendy Waddle at 803-329-5659.
▪ The Humane Society of York County’s Christmas store is open at 855 Gold Hill Road, Suite 109, Fort Mill. Donations of gently used holiday decor is accepted. Christmas Whimsy dog portraits will be taken by River Art Images, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday at BowseeWowzee, 116 Massey St., Fort Mill. Emailed image, $15 per dog; print, $20 per dog. Cash or checks accepted. For appointments, call Donna at 803-802-2699. All proceeds to HSYC. PAWbroker jewelry will host a fundraiser, 5-9 p.m. Monday at Fish Market in Baxter for HSYC. Shop the collection or donate jewelry for the next party.
▪ Christmas Craft show will be 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday at Eastside Baptist Church, 318 N. Jones Ave., Rock Hill. Breakfast available 9-11:30 a.m. and lunch 11:30 a.m.-3 p.m. There will be vendors, baked goods and crafts.
▪ Rock Hill Civitan Club will have its fall yard sale, 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday in the gym at Aldersgate United Methodist Church, 2115 Celanese Road. Barbecue sandwich plates, $5. Proceeds go to community service and special needs projects.
▪ Clover High School Band’s annual fish fry will be 3-8 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m.-7 p.m Sunday at the high school cafeteria, 1525 S.C. 55 East. Plates, $10. Tickets available at the door.
▪ India Hook United Methodist Women’s Vendors Market is seeking vendors. For reservations, call Dottie Davis at 803-329-7757. The market will be 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Nov. 21 at the church on Mount Gallant Road, Rock Hill.
▪ The Arts Council of Chester County will host its Jingle Bell Bazaar Holiday Art Market, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday at the Chester War Memorial Building. Items for sale include handmade jewelry ornaments, painting, pottery, wreaths Santa Spindles, baked goods, antiques and a hot chocolate bar. There will be raffles and door prizes.
▪ Second annual Craftacular event, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday at Lifeway Church, 114 S. Congress St., York. Inside booth rental, $25; outside, $15. For information, call Jenifer 803-627-6501.
▪ CraftMainia holiday extravaganza, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday at Frank Road Post No. 34. Vendors welcome. For information, email firstname.lastname@example.org
▪ The town of Fort Lawn is accepting entries for its annual Christmas Parade, 2 p.m. Dec. 12. Rain date, 3 p.m. Dec. 13. For information, call Town Hall at 803-872-4724, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday. No fee. Entries are due Nov. 25. Floats will be judged and cash prizes will be awarded to first, second and third place winners.
▪ The Western York County Branch of the NAACP will meet 6 p.m. Nov. 19 at the Greater York Chamber of Commerce. For information, call Wanda Simril at 803-684-6200.
▪ The Catawba Council of the South Carolina Silver Haired Legislature will meet 11 a.m. Wednesday at Highland Park Senior Center, 917 Standard St., Rock Hill.
▪ Commissioners of the York Soil and Water Conservation District will meet 5 p.m. Thursday at the USDA Service Center, 1460 E. Alexander Love Highway, York. Open to the public. For information, call Barbara O’Connell, district coordinator at 803-684-3137 ext. 101.
▪ Members and friends of the Rock Hill area Peace Corps community are invited to a drop in, 8-11 a.m. Nov. 22 to meet with a representative of the National Peace Corps Association at Panera Bread, 526 John Ross Parkway, Rock Hill. For information, email email@example.com.
▪ The York County Quilt Guild will meet 7 p.m. Monday at Grace Lutheran Church, 426 Oakland Ave., Rock Hill. The guild will give more than 100 quilts to the Department of Social Services for children in its program. A speaker from DSS will discuss the program for children.
▪ The Vintage Club of Tega Cay monthly dinner and entertainment will be 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Phil Glennon Community Center. Cocktails at 6 p.m.
▪ Lake Wylie Shag Club hosts “Shag Time” each Tuesday at the Fort Mill Moose Lodge, 1676 Harris Road. Line dance lessons, 6-7:30 p.m. Shag lessons, 7:30-8 p.m. Open dance floor for all dancers at 8 p.m. Cover charge $1.
▪ The Carolina Accordion and Banjo Society will meet at 12:30 p.m. Saturday at Jonathan’s, Independence Parkway, Matthews, N.C. For information, call Kathy at 803-325-1601.
▪ York County Genealogical & Historical Society will meet 10 a.m. Saturday at Landsford Canal State Park, 2051 Park Dr., Catawba Park Superintendent Al James and Ranger Don Oneppo will discuss the creation of a canal in the 1820s to avoid the rocky shoals of the Catawba River and the rare Rocky Shoals Spider Lily. Hiking opportunities after the meeting. Cost to enter the park is $2, adults; $1.25, age 65 and older.
▪ South Carolina Legal Services will have a free clinic on how to apply expungements and pardons and what South Carolina criminal charges can be expunged. The clinic will be 2 p.m. Monday in conference room 201 at Rock Hill City Hall, 155 Johnston St. No one will be allowed in after 2 p.m. Space is limited and registration is required. To register, call 803-327-9001 or 800-922-3853.
▪ The United Way of York County will present a financial basics workshop for York County staff, volunteers and board members of registered non-profit organizations, 8 a.m.-10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the City Club of Rock Hill, 140 E. Main St., Rock Hill. Staff from Burkett, Burkett & Burkett CPA will lead the workshop. Register at unitedwayofyc.org/node/207.
▪ York Parks and Recreation Department will have a free movie night 6:30 p.m. Nov. 24 at the York Recreation Center, 21 White Rose Lane. “We Are Marshall” will be shown in the gym. Children must be accompanied by a responsible adult. For information, call 803-684-3742.
▪ A Parkinson’s support group will meet 1:30 p.m. Nov. 18 at Westminster Towers Community Room, 1330 India Hook Road, Rock Hill. For information, call 803-328-5231.
▪ Alateen meets 8-9 p.m. Thursdays at Zoar Road Club, 14701 Thomas Road, Charlotte. Meetings are for two age groups: 6-12 and 13 and older. For information, call 803-547-2124 or 704-904-7834.
▪ Al-Anon meets at 8 p.m. Mondays at Serenity Club, 209 Grayson Road, Rock Hill; at noon Tuesdays upstairs at Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church, 421 Oakland Ave., Rock Hill; at 8 p.m. Mondays at Grace Presbyterian Church, 2955 S.C. 160, Fort Mill; and at 8 p.m. Tuesdays in the house beside First Baptist Church, 121 Monroe White St., Fort Mill.
Send Community News items to firstname.lastname@example.org or to 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, SC 29730.
Deadline for the Thursday column is 5 p.m. Monday. Deadline for the Sunday column is 5 p.m. Wednesday.