The Rock Hill NAACP is partnering with the Winthrop University Chapter of the NAACP to present a Founder’s Day Program.
“Now and Then,” a look at the history of the NAACP, will be at 7 p.m. Friday in Richardson Ballroom at Winthrop.
For information, contact Dr. Norma Gray at 803-230-9574.
▪ The American Islamic Outreach Foundation will host “Come Meet Your Muslim Neighbor” 3:15-6:15 p.m. Saturday at the Islamic Community Center South Charlotte, 1048 Grant Road, Fort Mill. Imam Eesaa Wood, regional director for Al-Furqaan Foundation, will speak. Dinner will be served. For information or to schedule a seminar for a church or school, call 704-412-9040 or email info@AmericanIslamicOutreach.org.
▪ York County All on Board Coalition and Keystone Substance Abuse Services will host a Marijuana Summit – Real Answers, Real Stories, Real Data, 6:30-8 p.m. Feb. 22 in the Richardson Ball Room at Winthrop University. The event is part of the The Blunt Truth York County Task Force. Ben Cort, business development manager for the Center for Dependence Addiction and Rehabilitation (CeDAR), part of the University of Colorado Health system, will speak. For information, see allonboard.org or keystoneyork.org.
▪ Community Bingo hosted by Agape Hospice in York will be 2 p.m. Tuesday at 12 N. Congress St. The event is free for those 55 and older. Seating is limited. RSVP to 803-818-5601.
▪ March is national Nutrition Month, and to celebrate, Count Me In to Do the Right Thing presents the American Dietetic Association “Eat Right With Color,” 11 a.m.-noon March 12 at Lewisville Community Library. Clinical dietitian Logan Baker will speak. Refreshments available. For information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ VFW Post 3746 will have a Valentine’s Day benefit dance, 8 p.m.-1 a.m. Friday at the VFW Post on West Main Street, Rock Hill. Tickets: $15, individual; $25, couples. Proceeds to the building fund.
▪ Bethel United Methodist Church soup kitchen is open 11 a.m. Thursdays through March at the church, 1232 Curtis St., Rock Hill. Open to the community. Donations accepted.
▪ The York Soil and Water Conservation District commissioners will meet 5 p.m. Feb. 18 at the USDA Service Center, 1460 E. Alexander Love Highway, York. Open to the public. For information, contact Barbara O’Connell at 803-684-3137, ext. 101.
▪ Relay for Life leadership committee and team captains will meet Tuesday at Woodland United Methodist Church, 180 Cherry Road, Rock Hill. The committee will meet at 5:30 p.m. and team captains at 6:30. Tracie Lewis with the American Cancer Society will speak. All team captains should attend. Relay for Life/York East will be 2-10 p.m. May 14 at Dutchman Creek Middle School in Rock Hill. To sign up or create a team go to relayforlife.org/yorkeastsc.
▪ The York County Quilt Guild will meet 7 p.m. Feb. 23 at Grace Lutheran Church, 426 Oakland Ave., Rock Hill. Elaine Quehl, international quilt artist, designer and fabric dyer, will talk about her evolution from traditional quilter to art quilter and will bring recent quilts and digital images. Open to the community.
▪ The Western York County Branch of the NAACP will meet 6 p.m. Feb. 18 at the Greater York Chamber of Commerce. For information, contact Wanda Simril at 803-684-6200.
▪ The Woman’s Club of Rock Hill will host an “Oscar Winning” Bridge and Games Luncheon, noon-3 p.m. March 10 at the clubhouse, 607 Aiken Ave. Cost is $25 and includes lunch, snacks and door prizes. For reservations, contact Betty Hedstrom at 803 415-7278 or email@example.com. Your call or email will be confirmed. Send check, in advance, to WCRH and note Bridge and Games Luncheon, P.O. Box 3302, Rock Hill, SC 29732.
▪ The Ballroom Dance Club will meet at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 19 at the Oak Room of the Fort Mill Golf Course, 101 Country Club Drive. Guest admission is $15 per couple, $7.50 singles, and includes a free dance lesson. Dances include swing and shag. No alcohol; light refreshments provided. Dressy casual. All skill levels are welcome. For information, call Bob at 803-329-5764, 9 a.m.-9 p.m.
▪ A GAP (Good Agriculture Practices) workshop for area fruit and vegetable farmers will be 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Feb. 20 at the Clemson Extension York County Office, 120 N. Congress St., York. Learn what GAP is and the do’s and don’ts of GAP from “plant to pack.” Leave with a personalized GAP/farm food safety plan and the steps you need to follow to receive certification. The deadline to register is Monday, but seating is limited. Sign up at catawbafarmandfood.org/gap, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 803-981-3021.
▪ The Finley High School class of 1964 will meet at noon Saturday at the Chester Cove Restaurant, 1622 J.A. Cochran Bypass. All classmates are encouraged to attend. For information, contact Charlie M. Robinson at 803-327-4547, James Mayfield at 803-374-1090 or Kater Wylie Cornwell at 704-661-7701.
▪ The Rock Hill Chapter of Finley High School Alumni will meet 5 p.m. Monday at Jackson’s Cafeteria, 1735 Heckle Blvd. Anyone who graduated or attended Finley High School is encouraged to attend. For information, call Charlie M. Robinson at 803-327-4547 or James T. Dunham at 704-232-0793.
▪ Former Hillcrest Elementary School students will meet 11 a.m. Feb. 20 at Foundation AME Zion Church, Neely Store Road, Rock Hill.
▪ A Parkinson’s support group will meet 1:30 p.m. Wednesday at Westminster Towers Community Room, 1330 India Hook Road, Rock Hill. Patrice Hinnant, director of wellness at Westminster Towers, will demonstrate exercises. For information, call 803-328-5231.
▪ Alateen meets 8-9 p.m. Thursdays at Zoar Road Club, 14701 Thomas Road, Charlotte. Meetings are for two age groups: 6-12 and 13 and older. For information, call 803-547-2124 or 704-904-7834.
▪ Al-Anon meets at 8 p.m. Mondays at Serenity Club, 209 Grayson Road, Rock Hill; at noon Tuesdays upstairs at Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church, 421 Oakland Ave., Rock Hill; at 8 p.m. Mondays at Grace Presbyterian Church, 2955 S.C. 160, Fort Mill; and at 8 p.m. Tuesdays in the house beside First Baptist Church, 121 Monroe White St., Fort Mill.
Send Community News items to email@example.com or to 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, SC 29730. Deadline for the Thursday column is 5 p.m. Monday. Deadline for the Sunday column is 5 p.m. Wednesday.