Area 11 Special Olympics Spring Games will be 10 a.m.-1 p.m. March 22 at Cherry Park. More than 1,200 Special Olympics athletes from York, Chester and Lancaster counties will compete in track and field events. 900 volunteers are needed to make the day a success. Volunteers will be assigned to a sporting event to help run the event or present awards. Volunteer registration begins 9 a.m. Individuals do not need to call in advance to help, but large groups/clubs wanting to volunteer as a team should email email@example.com in advance. Announcements in case of inclement weather will be posted at cityofrockhill.com/prt and at 803-329-5620.
▪ The annual Charlotte Camellia Society Flower Show and Plant Sale will be 1-5 p.m. Saturday and 1:30-5 p.m. Sunday at the Historic White Home, 258 E. White St., Rock Hill. The event is free and open to the public. Visitors can see hundreds of blooms of the winners of the annual competition, buy camellia plants that are suitable for growing in our area, and register for a drawing to win a free camellia plant. For information, call 803-984-3237.
▪ Agape Hospice will sponsor Community Bingo for ages 55 and older at 2 p.m. March 25 at Glenrock Baptist Church, 1815 Dobys Bridge Road, Fort Mill. There will be 10 games and plenty of prizes. Limited seating. RSVP at 803-329-4544.
▪ Vendors are wanted for the 2016 Western York County Senior Expo May 3 at Filbert Presbyterian Church, York. Space is limited to 50 exhibitors. For information, call the Greater York or Greater Clover chambers of commerce at 803-684-2590 or 803-222-3312.
▪ The fourth annual Hoops for a Cure, sponsored by Earth Angel Breast Cancer Foundation, will be 2 p.m. Saturday at Clover Middle School. Admission, $5.
▪ Lancaster County Woman’s Club Doggie Dash will be 3 p.m. Saturday at Walnut Creek Park. Registration is $15 and proceeds go to Lancaster SCPA. Prizes awarded to the top three finishers in the one and quarter mile run. Register at firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ The Optimist Club of Rock Hill’s 13th Annual Captain’s Choice Charity Golf Tournament will be March 22 at the Rock Hill Country Club with a shot gun start at 12:30 p.m. Cost is $320 for teams of four. A sandwich lunch is included in the entry fee. There will be a live and silent auction. Proceeds go to Optimist youth charities. For information or registration, contact David Angel at 803-327-6112 or Whitey Adams at 803-327-5530.
▪ The third annual Mount Hebron Dreamkeepers Optimist Club Exhibition Basketball Game will be 4 p.m. Saturday at South Pointe High School. The Prime Time Players, a semi-pro team, will face a lineup of local players, including several former high school stars. Proceeds will support club programs, including YES (Youth Empowerment Service) and other Optimist International initiatives for research of childhood cancer and Alzheimer’s disease. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for students and age 60 or older.
▪ Allison Creek Bluegrass will host Pinetuckett 7 p.m. March 17 at Allison Creek Presbyterian Church at S.C. 274 and Allison Creek Road. Doors open at 6 p.m. and food service begins at 6:30 p.m. Admission is free. Love offering taken.
Rolling in Rock Hill
▪ Rock Hill Neighborhood Empowerment Office is accepting nominations from low to moderate income, elderly residents and individuals with disabilities for the 2016 Rolling In Rock Hill Paint Project Sept. 17. Applications are available at cityofrockhill.com/neighborhood on the Rolling In Rock Hill page, or call Dorene Boular at 803-325-2527 or Dorene.email@example.com. Homes must be owner-occupied and located in the city. Homeowner must be in the low-to-moderate income bracket, an elderly resident or physically unable to paint your own home.
▪ Commissioners of the York Soil and Water Conservation District will meet at 5 p.m. March 15 at the USDA Service Center, 1460 E. Alexander Love Highway, York. Open to the public. For information, call Barbara O’Connell at 803-684- 3137 ext. 101.
▪ Relay for Life-York East will have team meetings 6 p.m. Tuesday and April 16 at Woodland United Methodist Church, Cherry Road, Rock Hill. For information, go to relayforlife.org/YorkEastSC.
▪ Lake Wylie Shag Club St. Patrick’s Party, 8 p.m. March 19 at the Fort Mill Moose Lodge, 1676 Harris Road. DeeJay Frank Price will play. Admission is $3, members; $5, guests.
▪ The Ballroom Dance Club will meet at 7:30 p.m. March 18th in the Oak Room, Fort Mill Golf Course, 101 Country Club Drive. Guests, $15 per couple; $7.50, singles. Dances include swing and shag. No alcohol; light refreshments provided. Dressy casual. All skill levels are welcome. For information, call Bob at 803-329-5764, 9 a.m.-9 p.m.
▪ Rock Hill Area Shag Club St. Patrick’s Day party will be 8 p.m. March 19 at Celebrations at Ramada Inn, Rock Hill. Dinner provided: members, $3; guests, $5. Members meeting at 7 p.m.
York County Library
York County Library will offer the following programs during March:
Teen Scene: Interactive Movie Afternoon: 1-4 p.m. Saturday for ages 11-17 to be part of the first movie featuring the world’s most popular young wizard. Appropriate costume play can be worn. Call 803-981-5830 to register.
▪ Ron Petrie will discuss changes in Medicare from 1 to 3 p.m. Friday at the Fort Mill library at second Baxter Crossing. Anyone 65 and older and on Medicare is invited. Free.
▪ Alateen meets 8-9 p.m. Thursdays at Zoar Road Club, 14701 Thomas Road, Charlotte. Meetings are for two age groups: 6-12 and 13 and older. For information, call 803-547-2124 or 704-904-7834.
▪ Al-Anon meets at 8 p.m. Mondays at Serenity Club, 209 Grayson Road, Rock Hill; at noon Tuesdays upstairs at Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church, 421 Oakland Ave., Rock Hill; at 8 p.m. Mondays at Grace Presbyterian Church, 2955 S.C. 160, Fort Mill; and at 8 p.m. Tuesdays in the house beside First Baptist Church, 121 Monroe White St., Fort Mill.
Send Community News items to firstname.lastname@example.org or to 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, SC 29730. Deadline for the Thursday column is 5 p.m. Monday. Deadline for the Sunday column is 5 p.m. Wednesday.