▪ Nineteenth-century interpreters will be shearing the Gulf Coast heritage sheep at Historic Brattonsville from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday. Demonstrators will show how raw woolen fleece is processed for carding, spun, dyed with natural indigo, and woven into finished garments. The plantation has new spring lambs and an assortment of heritage breed animals. TL Cafe Food Truck will be on-site all day serving grilled kabobs and other delicacies. Admission: $6, adult; $5, seniors; $3, age 4-17; free for members and age 3 and younger. For information, www.chmuseums.org or 803-684-2327.
▪ The Woman’s Club of Rock Hill will host a “Champagne & Strawberries Brunch,” 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m. April 17 at clubhouse, 607 Aiken Ave. Cost is $25, adults and $10 age 12 and younger. Menu includes champagne cocktails, strawberry salsa, baked ham, New Orleans grillades and grits, egg frittata, chicken crepes, strawberry soup, and assorted desserts. The Strawberry Mini-Boutique, open from 10:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m., will feature strawberry jam, pepper jelly, and other hand crafted gift items. Weather permitting, limited outdoor seating will be available. For information or reservations contact: Betty Hedstrom at 803-415-7278 or leave a message 803-328-8888. Mail check, in advance, to WCRH and note Champagne & Strawberries Brunch; PO Box 3302; Rock Hill, S.C. 29732.
▪ The York County Choral Society will perform Furè’s “Requiem” at 4 p.m. April 24 in Byrnes Auditorium at Winthrop University. Additional choral selections will be performed by the York County Chamber Singers. Tickets are $20, adults; $10, age 62 and older and $5, students with ID. Tickets are available at the door or at yorkcountychoralsociety.org.
▪ Count Me In to Do the Right Thing will host free bingo games for area youth and senior citizens, 11 a.m.-noon Saturday at the Richburg Community Library, 3771 Lancaster Highway. All prizes are essential household goods to be awarded to senior citizens. Refreshments services. For information, email email@example.com.
▪ North Central Family Medical Center will hold a voter registration drive 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday at 1131 Saluda St., Rock Hill.
▪ Ozzie’s 19th Birthday Bash will be 4-10 p.m. April 16 at VFW Post 2889 in Rock Hill benefiting animal rescue and assistance in York County by Ozzie to the Rescue. Tickets are $15. single; $25 double and $5 age 10 and younger. There will be lasagna or spaghetti dinner and entertainment by Elvis impersonator, Matthew Spalding, beginning at 7 p.m. Cash bar available. For information call 803-412-4478.
▪ Mended Hearts Chapter 289 of Rock Hill is sponsoring a golf tournament April 20 at the Spring Lake Country Club in York. Tee time is 1 p.m. at $50 per golfer in a Captain’s Choice format. Prizes range from $50-$200. Send entries with checks to Gerald Kemp, 215 Oakwood Ave., York, S.C. 29745. Checks made payable to Mended Hearts are tax deductible. Mended Hearts is a support group dedicated to inspiring hope in heart disease patients and their families.
▪ Mount Holly United Methodist Church will have its 15th annual Christian Sport Shooter Classic, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. April 23 at Rocky Creek Sporting Clay Club, Mountain Gap Road, Richburg. Registration opens 8:30 a.m. Cost: $100, adults; $75, youth. Proceeds go to the sanctuary fund. Information and registration at mthollyumc.org.
▪ The 2016 Festival Golf Classic will be April 19 at Pinetuck Golf Club with lunch and 12:45 shotgun start. Entry fee is $240 per team or $60 per player and includes a mulligan, beverages and lunch. Post-tournament door prizes and awards. Proceeds to the Children’s Attention Home and charter school. For information, call Jerry Couch at 803-329-1734 or Lewis Murray at 803-0327-1141.
▪ 4-H Youth Development, part of Clemson Extension Service in York County, will have a 4-H Summer Club interest meeting 6 p.m. April 20 at Rock Hill School District Three Office, 600 N. Anderson Road. For information, contact Faith Isreal at 803-684-9919 ext. 113 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ AARP Drivers Safety Program for ages 26 and older will be 9 a.m.-1 p.m. April 15 at Cox’s Harley-Davidson, 1178 Galleria Boulevard, Rock Hill. No driving test is required for the safety refresher course. Participants will get certificates that may reduce insurance rates for collision and liability coverage on your vehicle for three years. Cost for members is $15; non members, $20. Make checks payable to AARP. Registration is required. For information or registration, contact Donald Hunt 803-328-5507.
▪ The Rock Hill Civitan Club will hold a membership meeting 7 p.m. p.m. Tuesday at Mary’s Cafe. Fellowship at 6:30 p.m. Anyone age 18 and older is invited to join. James McIlrath, a past district governor will speak about the South Carolina Special Olympics. For information, go to rockhillcivitan.org or contact Ella Messer at 803-366-9896.
▪ The Newcomers Club of York County, a women’s social and civic minded organization, will meet 11:30 a.m. April 13 at Grace Lutheran Church, 426 W. Oakland Ave., Rock Hill. Linda Williams, author of Beyond Snap, Crackle, and Pop, will speak. The luncheon is a potluck with the club providing Honey Baked Ham sandwiches and drinks for $4. Members are to provide side dishes and desserts. After the meeting, members and guests can play bingo to raise money for Hospice and Community Care and the Humane Society of York County. Five game cards will be $10. Prizes will be awarded for each game. For reservations for each event contact Kris at email@example.com or 954-821-9310 by 10 p.m. April 7.
▪ Lake Wylie Shag Club’s offers shag-dance lessons and line-dance lessons for $1 Tuesdays at the Fort Mill Moose Lodge. Line-dance lessons begin at 6 p.m. and shag-dance lessons at 7:30 p.m. The dance floor opens for all dancers at 8 p.m. The event features a DJ and snack bar.
▪ The Fort Mill Community Playhouse auditions for its June 2016 production, “October Daisies” will 6:30 p.m. Thursday and 3 p.m. April 10 at the playhouse, 218 Main St. Call backs, if necessary, will be April 13. Roles available for 2 men and 11 women. For a description of characters and information go to fortmillplayhouse.org or call 803-548- 8102 The play runs June 9-12, 17-19, and 23-26.
▪ Agape Hospice will host volunteer training from 10 a.m.-noon April 25 at Agape Hospice of Rock Hill, 1326 Ebenezer Road and from 10 a.m.-noon April 27 at Agape Hospice of York, 12 N. Congress St. For information or to register, call Adisa Dover at 803-207-6324.
▪ Make-A-Wish South Carolina regional volunteer meeting will be 7 p.m. April 21 at the Baxter Village YMCA. For information or to start the process of becoming a volunteer, contact Brennan Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org.
▪ The Emmett Scott High School class of 1967 will meet 5:30 p.m. Monday at The LongHorn, Rock Hill.
▪ The Adult Enrichment Centers of Rock Hill caregiver support group will meet 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at 359 Park Ave. Open to the public. For information, call Dee Curran at 803-327-7448.
▪ Dr. Bill Wells will speak at the Surgical Weight Loss Program support group at 6 p.m. Tuesday Women’s Tower Auditorium Piedmont Medical Center. He will discuss the challenges of maintaining a healthy lifestyle after surgery. No registration required.
▪ Alateen meets 8-9 p.m. Thursdays at Zoar Road Club, 14701 Thomas Road, Charlotte. Meetings are for two age groups: 6-12 and 13 and older. For information, call 803-547-2124 or 704-904-7834.
▪ Al-Anon meets at 8 p.m. Mondays at Serenity Club, 209 Grayson Road, Rock Hill; at noon Tuesdays upstairs at Oakland Avenue Presbyterian Church, 421 Oakland Ave., Rock Hill; at 8 p.m. Mondays at Grace Presbyterian Church, 2955 S.C. 160, Fort Mill; and at 8 p.m. Tuesdays in the house beside First Baptist Church, 121 Monroe White St., Fort Mill.
Send Community News items to email@example.com or to 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, SC 29730. Deadline for the Thursday column is 5 p.m. Monday. Deadline for the Sunday column is 5 p.m. Wednesday.