York Comprehensive High School spring athletes were recognized during Monday’s awards ceremony held in the school’s auditorium.
YCHS athletic director Steve Boyd lauded the student-athletes during the busiest high school sports season. “We had over 400 spring sports participants,” Boyd said.
In addition to the growing spring sports participation numbers, Boyd said attendance is on the rise.
“The York-Clover baseball game drew the largest baseball crowd I’ve ever seen in York,” said Boyd. “All spring sports teams had good crowds. In addition to growing participation, we have outstanding spring sports coaches, who are great role models.”
Boyd said six YCHS track participants advanced to the Upper State, the boys’ golf team qualified for the Upper State and the baseball team made the playoffs.
Added Boyd: “We appreciate our senior athletes’ contributions to spring sports and wish them well in the future.”
Awards recipients at the Monday night ceremony were:
▪ Varsity baseball: Defensive Player of the Year, Adam Hoffman; Offensive Player of the Year, Harrison Childers; Pitcher of the Year, Ryan Gilbert. All-Region: Patch Edwards, Ryan Gilbert and Harrison Childers.
▪ Junior varsity baseball: MVP, Jake Trotter; Pitcher of the Year, Steven White; Hardest Worker, Tanton Burns.
▪ Varsity softball: Most Valuable Player, Madeline Davis; Outstanding Defensive Award, Samantha VanCamp; Cougar Pride Award, Taylor Wilkerson. All-Region: Madeline Davis.
▪ Junior varsity softball: Most Improved, Carlee Shannon; Cougar Pride Awards, Mackenzie Bailey and Emalee Smith.
▪ Varsity boys’ soccer: Most Valuable Player, Buddy Anderson; Golden Boot, Benji Amezcua; Playmaker Award, Evan Lewis; You’ll Never Walk Alone Award, Todd Weatherington. All-Region: Buddy Anderson.
▪ Junior varsity boys’ soccer, You’ll Never Walk Alone Awards, Eric Martinez and Daniel Shirley; Coach’s Award, Juan Angeles.
▪ Girls’ varsity soccer: Offensive MVP, Mahoganey Setzer; Defensive MVP, Anna Littlejohn; Coach’s Awards, Najha Feemster and Gabby Richardson; Most Improved, Victoria Ivey. All-Region: Mahoganey Setzer.
▪ Junior varsity girls’ soccer: Leadership Award, Anna Comer, Taylor Ries; Most Improved, Amari Moore; Cougar Award, Kyla Douglas.
▪ Boys’ tennis: Most Improved, Juwan Barnett; Cougar Pride, Matthew Goforth; Hustle Award, Noah Arnold; Coach’s Award, Matthew Goforth.
▪ Boys’ golf: Most Valuable Golfer, Austin Hall; Most Improved, Damon Heath; Coach’s Award, Tucker Laney; Cougar Pride, Chayce Blackwell.
▪ Boys’ track: MVP, Jamar Griffin; Hardest Worker, Kamian McClain; Most Improved, Ben Watkins and Ke’Trael Lytle; Coach’s Awards, Ryan Enniss and Kyron Schrouder. All-Region: Jamar Griffin, Dee Pendergrass, Shaq Harris, Omari Mitchell, Kyron Schrouder.
▪ Girls’ track: MVP, Kinleigh Wilkerson; Most Improved, Sydney Lueth; Hardest Worker, Alasia Smith.
▪ Athletic trainers: Extra Mile Award, Caroline Whetstine, Kayla Kimble and Dustin McNeely; Trainer of the Year, Dustin McNeely.
YCHS Athletic Booster Club awards were presented to the following: Community Service Award, Lee Broom/Dickson Realty; Fan of the Year, Billy Carroll; Cougar Service Award, Frankie Guempel; Booster Club President’s Award, Keith McNeely; Noah Williams Solid Citizen Awards, Taylor Ramsey and Thomas Wilkerson; Memorial Scholarship in memory of Mose Holsclaw and Gray Dickson, Shelby Ashe, Luc Greene, Carrie Lee Lancaster, Taylor Ramsey, Thomas Wilkerson and Ethan Whitesides.